Question: Candle Smoke, do they damage lungs?

fluffy0o0o - Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:46 pm

Hi there and im jewish and hannuka has come around and i was wondering if all the smoke from the candles is damaging my lungs. i was thinking about this because i am a cross country runner and i don't want it to affet my ability to breath. so could someone please tell me if it is damaging my lungs or if i am over reacting
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:49 pm

User avatar Hi there -

This is a very reasonable question! The generalized answer would be "no", but there are some qualifiers to this. First, where the candles are burning should not be airtight, and the candles should be relatively clean burning (no visible black smoke, as when one puts out a candle that's been burning). Decent quality candles in an appropriately well-ventilated room shouldn't cause problems. The problems that do occur with bad candles or too "tight" a room are usually lung (or more often bronchial) irritation in certain senstitive individuals, but not actual damage. If you're not feeling any ill effects from being around the candles you aren't likely having any such symptoms, and other than that there's really little to be concerned about. It's an excellent question, however, and thanks for asking it!

Hope this is helpful and that you've enjoyed the holidays.
 fluffy0o0o - Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:33 pm

Thank you very much Dr.Kenyon, i thought that the smoke from the candles was damaging my lungs and it would affect my performance while running. you really took a laod off my mind.

|