Forum Name: Hypertension

Question: TRACE MITRAL REGURGITATION

atlas786 - Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:43 am

I have mild hypertension. Recently I underwent Echocardiogram/Doppler/ECG and my cardiologist observed that there was TRACE MR (MITRAL REGURGITATION).

I would like to know what & how this finding will affect my heart/body and health in general. Will it deteriorate further ?

What is the remedy ? is surgery imminent ?

John Kenyon, CNA - Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:53 pm

To quickly set your mind at ease, "trace" mitral regurgitation is only even noted because it's not how the mitral valve is supposed to work according to the textbook. If this is the only negative note you've found on your echo report you're doing better than most of us. It means virtually nothing. It's recorded (along with any other non-perfect findings) as a way of describing your particular heart. Trace regurgitation is negligable by definition. As to the issue of how it might progress (or not) the truth is that while it is technically possible this could, over time, progress to something more significant, statistically there's no reason to believe it would any more than someone else's trace mitral regurge. Most mitral incompetence is found when it's quite marked anyway. Since almost everyone has some trace regurge (the mitral valve is designed in a very interesting way, but its engineering causes it to be less than perfect most of the time), it still works just fine. Yours is just fine too.

If this were a common precursor of trouble I'd be saying so. In fact, this is a finding so common it's truly unremarkable. I often wonder if anyone has a textbook perfect mitral valve.

Hope this is helpful to you. Good luck and please follow up with us as needed.
 atlas786 - Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:12 am

Thank you very much for your prompt and to the point response.

I feel much relaxed after reading your post.

If I require any further advice I will certainly get in touch with you all.

Thank you and God Bless !

|