Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cardiology Topics

Question: CHest pain and discofort like indigestion

dorrog - Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:48 am

I have not been feeling right and i want to explain the symptoms to you for your opinion. 4 nights ago i had pain in my chest , through my back and to my left arm. It was not severe, just uncomfortable. It lasted maybe 45 min, and since i have had a discomfort in my chest, in the middle just below my bra strap, kinda like indigestion but rolaids do not help. I am a female, 45 years old. My cholesterol at my last exam was 200.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:43 pm

What you describe could be something as innocent as gastroesophageal refulx disease (GERD), but because of the classic description and the length of time it lasted, plus the rather sudden onset and the subsequent residual pain, I think it would be very wise for you to have any heart problem ruled out. While your cholesterol is in the good range, that's no guarantee that you cannot have heart disease anyway. It's unlikely, but I'd much rather eliminate the serious stuff first, then work down to the more likely innocuous things. FIrst things first.

With that in mind, I hope you will either make an appointent with your doctor right away, or if that's not practical, then, if the symptoms continue, to visit a local ER and explain what happened and what's going on now. Also bear in mind that young, otherwise healthy women quite often have serious heart problems overlooked by doctors because women tend to develop heart disease later in life (statistically). In fact, anyone with symptoms -- or without them -- is a possible candidate for hidden heart disease.

I hope this is helpful to you. Please keep us updated and if this turns out to be a big nothing, that'll be just great. If not, though, you really need to know early on in order to manage it properly.
 staycee - Fri May 15, 2009 10:41 am

I have experienced something similar and am wondering what it is. I gave birth 5 weeks ago and while i was pregnant developed high blood pressure. After delivery i developed a racing heart which the doctor said was temporary and put me on metoprolol. Over the last couple of days the racing heart has stopped but i have been having weird sensations (not really pain) in my chest and this feeling of heart burn going up into my throat, but without the burn. ANy ideas what this could be?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri May 15, 2009 3:52 pm

User avatar For Staycee --

First, congratulations on the new addition!

The accelerated heart rate is very common post partum. Metaprolol is a very good med for this and should be effective til this resolves. The sensation in your throat you describe sounds like regurgitation without high acid content, something very similar to GERD, really exactly the same but without heartburn (be glad!). This is often due to an over-relaxed lower esophageal sphincter (LES) and is commonly seen during pregnancy, so might have been developing and now you're noticing it more. There are some meds for GERD that help strengthen that LES so if this keeps up or becomes more annoying or painful you might ask for one of the many good meds for that as well. For now, though, it seems likely it's pregnancy-related and may correct on its own.

Hope this helps. Good luck to you and please follow up with us here as needed.

|