Question: Heart rate, and chest and shoulder pain

Josh - Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:05 am

The last few months i have had pains in my chest and arms, The pains have come and gone, and don't seem to show up too much at all during exersise. The pain in my left shoulder has been a concern to me the last few days as it has been aching under my left shoulder a little. The ache is hard to explain. The pain also goes acrros my left shoulder balde at times. The Doctor has taken blood on several occasions as i was taken into hospital for them to diognose me with panic attack. Although since then i have not had any panic attacks, but hav still been suffering with chest pains, and pains going accross the left side f my ches and my ribs also have had this aching go accross them.

I am concerned about my health but the doctor looks at me and as i am young 18 years of age, assumes there is little wrong. I am going to see my doctor on wednesday and will ask him to do my blood pressure again, all blood pressure tests before have shown up ok.

The last few days i have come down with a fever, which i think is Flu. Since this started off my heart rate has been about 104ish when i had it measured by an ECG yesterday. I just hope i am not going to have a heart attack, or that i have a narrowing or blockage in some artchery! Is there anything that can be done to check for blockages or narrpings and would blood pressure go up? also is ny fever causing my heart rate to increase? do i need an echocardiogram? and should i have a 24 hour monitoring? i am rather worried about dying so young as the thought has crossed my mind.

I also get like muscle spasm sensation in my legs more so my right leg, in my calf muscle which feels like something moving around and worried that this could be a blood clot of some sort? as i have been getting aches in my legs recently, although this could be down to the flu virus i think i have.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:49 pm

User avatar Dear Josh,

You don't have any of the coronary disease risk factors and your chest pain is atypical as compared to the pain caused by coronary disease, so the chances that the pains that you are getting being of coronary origin (i.e. caused by a heart attack) are virtually nonexistent.

But this does not mean that the chest pains that you are having could not originate from the heart. In your age group, there is a condition called mitral valve prolapse that can lead to atypical chest pains.

This condition can be detected by echocardiography. i think at this point, it is better that you have an echocardiography.

Chest pain/shoulder pain/shoulder blade pain can be caused by many other causes, but this pain sounds more of muscular origin to me.

Fever increases the heart rate, so there is nothing to worry about from this aspect.

Thank you very much for using our website http://www.doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Josh - Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:43 am

thank you so much for replying :)

I have recently since posting seen a specialist on various things. He said..

my BMI is 17.5!!! should be 19+
i have a spastic colon which is palpaple in left iliac fossa?
increased resonance in the abdomen
coated tongue
many trigger points of Fibromyalgic Syndrome

PLASMA: PLATELET AGGREGATES with secretory vesicles are NOTED; these can indicate leaky gut, stress, diabetes mellitus, raised cholestorol or smoking (i don't smoke) so it is likley i have a leaky gut and high cholestoral)

LIPUID PLAQUE or ribbon is noted, indicating oxidative stress or a high saturated fat intake

CHOLESTORAL CRYSTALS are noted, indicating either oxidative stress or raised cholestoral levels - it may be advised to have your cholestoral levels checked.
A few PARASITIC-LIKE PROTOZA are noted, indicating a 'leaky gut.'
Many FUNGLE SPORES such as Candida are noted, indicating intestinal or systematic candidasis.

Medication...

Fluconazole 150MG capsule. Take one today and one in four weeks time. No perscription necessery.
Please continue taking OMEGA-3 fish oils 1000mg 2 daily, Vitamin C 1000mg alternate daily
Mineral Complex (EAP2 Minerals) vegetable capsules from BioCare These contain... Magnezium, zinc, manganese, silicon, copper, molybdenum, chronium, and selenuim. take one daily with food.

Selenuim Ace (extra) this is an atioxident. Take one daily.

L-Glutamine 500mg capsules. This is to improve the integrity of the lining of your gut linining.

That is pretty much the info i got from him, my blood pressure the other day when i had it done was slightly low, yet my heart rate was high? My NHS Doctor (National Health Service) doctor hasn't done much for me. My Cholestoral was when taken a total of 4.1 which 1.1 was HDL and the other 3.0 i think was LDL.

I also wonder if it could be thyroid perhaps being over reactive. At the moment i worked out my heart rate to be 108BPM over a ten second period and multipying it by 6.

I just want to feel well for christmas and for life if possible. But trying to get an echocardiogram here is rather difficult. The doctor said that was not needed as it was more for the chambers of the heart, he would rather try out a 24 hour monitoring, and i HAD TO ASK for that. No idea when he will do it, he said if my heart rate was coninuously fast after the fever, then he would give it a try. I feel aslthough i am over the fever but just still feel my heart rate is a lot faster than it should be. Yesterday before it started going faster, it was about 72 to 86ish BPM which wasn't too much of a worry. But it has started to speed up again :cry:
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:38 pm

User avatar Dear Josh,

Thank you very much for the update.

i think that you should follow your doctor's advice and see if this causes any improvement.

Please, stop checking your pulse as it is not going to give you any new information. Only if you feel palpitations, you should do that not to check for the rate but to find out whether the rhythm is regular or not.

If you started losing weight, being an anxious person and have elevated heart rate at the same time, i think it is a very good idea to have a thyroid blood test done.

Josh - Sat Dec 25, 2004 6:14 am

Thank you for the reply,

My main concern is that it is heart due to the aches andpains i am getting, i get most aching down my left arm, and shoulder. Sometims i get strange sensations on my right arm. I fear that the pains are a sign of this. I will see if i can get a thyroid blood test done, if it has not already been tested in an earlier blood test, although i guess it is good to have another one done.

The thing is the pains are also linked with me feeling a little light headed and tired, although this could be due to lack of sleep the last few nights. If i get a little more sleep perhaps this will help this. I don't smoke, drink really or anything bad like that. I used to eat a lot of junk food but the last year or so I have stayed off all things like that.

I am just a little worried that it is my heart. If it is my thyroid then that means i would have to have that removed? Still I will have to look into getting a blood test done sometime soon, and see if that is over or underactive, or ok. If it is ok then i guess something like an echocardiogram would be good. I have spoken to my doctor about an echocardiogram but he said that this would not be relevant, but if my heart rate continues a 24 hour ECG would be. My heart rate today is fairly normal, about 78ish so it is coming down again. It feels fairly regular. Once though i did when lying in bed hear it stop, then about 2 seconds later it went BOOM and started up again, which worried me a little!
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sat Dec 25, 2004 1:30 pm

User avatar Dear Josh,

Thank you very much for the update.

Left shoulder and arm pain are not hallmarks of heart disease, if you sit on the computer a lot, this is most probably the reason behind your shoulder pains.

If you had a thyroid function test when you started to have the symptoms and it was normal, there is no need to have it done again.

An echocardiogram would be of value if it showed that you have mitral valve prolapse.

What you experienced, the sensation of your heart stopping and then the strong beat is the typical feeling that an early (some would call it extra) heart beat gives.

Please, stop checking your pulse.

|