Question: Upper left chest pain, left jaw numbnnes and pain

zmarko - Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:00 pm

I am 36 year old male, 182 cm tall and height 102 kg. I did have some chest discomfort recently and my family doctor suggested I do some heart test due to my family history. I did blood work, EKG, ultrasound, stress test and holter for 24 hours.
All tests were except he holter were normal. The holter had 4 irregular bits. She suggested I see specialist. The specialist told me that there is nothing to worry, but to be certain he suggested doing nuclear stress test. While waiting for the test I start having numbness\pain in my left jaw and discomfort/pressure in the left chest, close to the breast towards the shoulder. I also noticed mild ear buzzing. Maybe anxiety was the reason due to a fact that I was waiting for the test/results. The nuclear streets test results were normal. The symptoms went away and come back after 15 days. Thinks to mention is that I have lost some weight (knee injury) for the last 12 months. From 115kg to 102kg. Physical activity 3-4 time a week.
Your help is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Marko
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:03 am

User avatar Hi Marko -

The really good news is that you've had a pretty complete cardiological workup and everything came out normal. That's great! The only thing that concerns me is that after having a Holter monitor show only four premature beats in 24 hours, your doctor felt you should see a specialist. This is really odd, because almost young, healthy person might well have at least that many premature beats in 24 hours.

Still, everything turned out well, and I think you've figured out on your own what was causing the symptoms: the situation was anxiety-producing, and this can often cause us to feel the very symptoms we're afraid we'll feel. They are real enough, but the basis for them is physchogenic. It's a very odd thing but it's true. You at lease have enough insight to realize this is likely what happened. I feel certain you're correct.

Your current occasional chest pain symptoms may be due to a GI problem that's aggravated by overweight, and you're well on your way to correcting that problem. Good job on that!

I hope this is helpful to you. Please follow up with us as needed.

|