Forum Name: Cardiology Diagnostics

Question: Anterior Infarct with abnormal ECG

Catharine - Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:16 pm

I am a 40 year old female who had pre op blood test and ekg. I am having biopsy surgery in a week to have a lump in my breast removed. I do not have high blood pressure, take synthroid daily for thyroid and had a TIA approx 1 yr ago. At that time, my cholestrol level was high but I have since gotten it under control and it is at acceptable levels.

I am concerned due to the previous TIA/Cholestorol issue that the EKG I just had states normal sinus rythym but cannot rul out Anterior infarct, age undetermined and abnormal ECG. I had an ekg just a month ago due to a bout of pnuemonia and that one was normal.

Do I have a reason to be concerned about the readings on this new EKG? or does this happen often (as it appears to after reading some of these postings).

Thank you in advance,

Catharine
 Theresa Jones, RN - Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:14 am

User avatar Hi Catharine,
Did your physician seem concerned over this new EKG reading?
The information that is printed on the top of an EKG report is what the machine interprets and depends largely on the EKG lead placement and occasionally reports incorrectly. The person reading the EKG looks at the rhythm's and not just at the information printed on the top of the report. If your physician has reviewed your EKG and didn't seem concerned, it's likely that it was due to the lead placement. I hope this helps. Good luck with your biopsy. I hope all turns out well.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:19 am

User avatar Dear Catharine,

Agree 100% with Theresa.

i think the best thing is to repeat the ecg if necessary and make sure that the leads are in their right places and to compare the ecgs to each other and no need to rely on the interpretation of the machine as many times they give incorrect interpretation.

If the ecg still shows the anterior infarction pattern, then i would suggest that you get an echocardiogram.

|