Question: Pain Behind Right Collar Bone

Electrician - Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:28 am

I noticed a pain toward the lower right side of my lower neck after dinking sour lemonade, (each time I drank it). I have stopped drinking it and the pain is getting more severe , even when I sleep at night. The pain was coming and going, but now seems to be more frequent. We checked my B.P. and it has been normal during each time of pain.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:50 pm

User avatar Hi there -

Either the pain was precipitated by the lemonade (acid reflux can sometimes be felt in this area by referral), or the pain was coincident with the lemonade and that's confusing the issue.

Some important facts would be helpful: Could you please describe the character of this pain? Also, is it possible to cause or worsen the pain by manual pressure on the area or by turning your head or moving the arm on the affected side? Is the pain worsened by taking a deep breath? A "yes" answer to any of these rules out cardiac problems.

Is the pain worsened during exertion? Does it respond to antacid or GERD medications? Knowing these things would also help.

Do you feel any nausea, dizziness, shortness of breath or radiation of the pain down your arm? Sweating? If the answer to any of these is yes, get yourself to an ER at once and don't take any chances. Preferably, if in the US, just dial 9-1-1 and let them do all the work. If none of these things are happening, please get back to us with the other information as soon as you can. This may well be GI in origin, but it can be difficult to tell without knowing the answers to the above questions.

Hope this is helpful and that you're feeling better. Please stay in touch here.
 Electrician - Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:37 am

At night I can fill the pain every time my heart beats, which the last couple of nights have been alittle more intense. Yes, if I breath in deep at night the pain intensifies. During the day it is just a little umcomfortable with a slight headache.

It does seem like a bad case od heartburn or indegestion but at night it is painful.

I have had heartburn from time to time and have been treating it successfully with OTC medication. Just not used to this new pain and the OTC has no affect.

Could of maybe irritated something?
 Electrician - Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:48 pm

Update! I went to the my Primary Doctor, he suspected heartburn and suscribed Nexium. I have taken it for three days now and no more discomfort or pain.

|