News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cardiology Topics

Question: Facial numbness with dizziness

po349rt - Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:01 pm

I have been having episodes of facial numbess around the lip and cheek areas. I also have times when I am feeling dizzy or light headed. The dizziness occurs if I am standing or lying down and a change of body position does not seem to help. I have now noticed for the past several days a numbness in my right index finger and thumb. I also seem to be having GERD episodes at night while trying to sleep. Is it possible this is all it is?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:22 pm

User avatar Hi there -

There are two equally likely causes for the numbness you describe, along with the numbness in the radial aspect of your right hand: this could be due to unwitting hyperventilation (very likely and very common); this happens usually due to anxiety and/or faulty breathing patterns, and can cause these very symptoms along with lightheadedness, dizziness, etc. Sometimes dizziness (vertigo, often caused by an inner ear problem) can trigger the faulty breathing and perpetuate itself this way.

The second possibility would be something involving the central nervous system (CNS), and this should be ruled out by a healthcare provider. It should be fairly easy, on a face-to-face basis, to differentiate between an anxiety or vertigo-based problem (easily treated or managed) and a CNS problem, which could be more complicated and require additional testing.

I hope this is helpful to you. Please follow up with us here as needed.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here