Forum Name: Cardiology Diagnostics

Question: Anterior Infarct - pre-op screening for rotator cuff repair.

LC39B - Tue May 06, 2003 5:00 pm

Hi, I am a 46 year old male who went to a pre-op screening for rotator cuff repair. An EKG was performed and came back abnormal, I was told it indicated possible Anterior Infarct. I have read the definitions and will see my primary care physician, but want to know what factors could affect this reading (or cause an erroneous reading ) and is there any questions I should ask of the doctor. Any help is appreciated.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Wed May 07, 2003 3:19 pm

User avatar Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for using our website.

On the electrocardiogram (e.c.g.), myocardial infarctions (heart attacks) have a certain pattern and one can identify these patterns easily.

The problem is that an electrocardiogram is operator dependant.

Confusion can regarding having previous anterior infarcts on the e.c.g. This is because the anterior wall of the heart is under the chest wall and the electrical impulses coming from the anterior wall of the heart are picked up by the leads that are placed on the chest wall. These leads have specific places to be placed and if for any reason, the operator misplaces the leads (which sometimes happen), then the e.c.g. could have a reading of an anterior infarction.

From the message i could understand that you did not have a heart attack in the past and are otherwise healthy. Even without a history of heart attacks for which you were hospitalized, a silent heart attack could happen and this occurs most commonly in patients with hypertension (high blood pressure) and diabetes.

Once more, thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

|