Forum Name: Valvular Heart Diseases

Question: Pulmonary atresia, ventricular septal defect with PDA

dannysa - Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:44 am

Dear Doctors,

My friend's child diagnosed with Pulmonary atresia, ventricular septal defect with patent ductus arteriosus shortly after born. Currently, she is 4 year old. Her doctor refuse to proceed with the heart operation due to she have insufficient strength to flip her body by herself. I would like to seek the advise of any possible treatment or operation to cure this child.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:34 pm

The only treatment for this trio of defects (commonly called "tetralogy of Fallot") is surgical correction, and the rule of thumb in many centers is that the child should have the strength to turn herself over without help. This is a very old standard, however, and depends upon the center charged with the care of the child. The only other treatment is supportive, that is providing oxygen, nutrition, etc.

Your friend's best bet would be to try and have the child moved to a more advanced center which specializes in these difficult cases.

I hope this is of some help to you.
 dannysa - Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:26 am

Dear Dr. Kenyon,

Thank you for your reply,
Are you able to provide recommended doctors or specialists in the area of Malaysia?

Warmest Regards
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:47 pm

User avatar You're very welcome.

My best guess as to centers in Malaysia would be the Institut Jantung Negara in Kuala Lumpur. Here is a link to their website with means to contact them: http://www.ijn.com.my/index.php

I hope this is of some help to you.

My best to you. Please update us.

|