Question: Chest Pain 3 times yesterday and today

babetteconley - Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:19 pm

I am a smoker until today which I quit. I was having chest pains really bad 3 times yesterday. One time at work at 4pm, then 2 hours later and then one hour later. The pain was so bad that I put my hand up to my chest cause of the pain. Last night I was going to sleep and then I could not stop coughing. I was coughing for hours until I took something for Asthma thinking that was the problem. No it wasn't so I took some theraflu and was able to go to sleep at 2am. This morning I got ready for work and around 8 am I am experiencing mild chest pain and slight cough but not as much as last night. The pain hurts right in the middle of my chest by my heart and inbetween my breast it feels like the pain starts to the front of my chest and I can feel it in my back as well now. Yesterday I only felt the chest pain.
About 2 months ago I went to my doctors for chest pain that I had in one month only two times during the month before I went to the doctors, and she did an EKG on me which she said looked fine.
Please advise.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sun Dec 26, 2004 8:16 pm

User avatar Dear Babette,

Where was the pain exactly? Did it go any where else? How long did it last? What were you doing when you had the chest pain? How did it go away?

Your pain sounds atypical, but you have one of the major risk factors of coronary disease and that is smoking. Still, you are a female, not at the age that would be considered a risk for coronary disease, you don't have any of the other disease that are considered major risk factors for coronary disease such as hypertension or diabetes and you mentioned that you don't have any family history of coronary disease.

The chances of this being coronary related is somewhat small.

This pain could be related to either reflux disease or the cough that you have been having.

After consulting with your doctor, i would suggest trying medications for reflux and musculoskeletal pain.

|