News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Cardiology Symptoms

Question: Chest Pain 3 times yesterday and today

babetteconley - Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:19 pm

I am a smoker until today which I quit. I was having chest pains really bad 3 times yesterday. One time at work at 4pm, then 2 hours later and then one hour later. The pain was so bad that I put my hand up to my chest cause of the pain. Last night I was going to sleep and then I could not stop coughing. I was coughing for hours until I took something for Asthma thinking that was the problem. No it wasn't so I took some theraflu and was able to go to sleep at 2am. This morning I got ready for work and around 8 am I am experiencing mild chest pain and slight cough but not as much as last night. The pain hurts right in the middle of my chest by my heart and inbetween my breast it feels like the pain starts to the front of my chest and I can feel it in my back as well now. Yesterday I only felt the chest pain.
About 2 months ago I went to my doctors for chest pain that I had in one month only two times during the month before I went to the doctors, and she did an EKG on me which she said looked fine.
Please advise.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sun Dec 26, 2004 8:16 pm

User avatar Dear Babette,

Where was the pain exactly? Did it go any where else? How long did it last? What were you doing when you had the chest pain? How did it go away?

Your pain sounds atypical, but you have one of the major risk factors of coronary disease and that is smoking. Still, you are a female, not at the age that would be considered a risk for coronary disease, you don't have any of the other disease that are considered major risk factors for coronary disease such as hypertension or diabetes and you mentioned that you don't have any family history of coronary disease.

The chances of this being coronary related is somewhat small.

This pain could be related to either reflux disease or the cough that you have been having.

After consulting with your doctor, i would suggest trying medications for reflux and musculoskeletal pain.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here