Question: 30 year old with chest pain

smartz - Fri Dec 24, 2004 1:52 pm

I have recently turned 30 and have been recently diagnosed with high blood pressure. It averages 190/110 and recently has gone as high as 210/115. My cholesterol was 230 If I remember right. I am recieving Epidural steroid injections for 4 herniated disks and take Tylenol3 w/codeine on a regular basis. I have a family history of heart disease on both sides........Now for my question....When doing chores around the house, cleaning, laundry, etc...( I am a father of 4) I begin to get fatigued easily and become short of breath. I also experience pressure and mild pain in my chest. If I rest for about 15 min or so it seems to go away.... My doctor suggests it may be panic attacks but I don't display any of the other symptoms associated with them.... He also suggested that it may be Angina. I cannot do a treadmill test because of my back and will have to do the chemical stress test...He will not order one until my BP is under control..... I guess my question is...I am 30, not overweight, otherwise healthy...Is it possible for me to have Angina at such a young age and should I be very concerned?
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sun Dec 26, 2004 3:58 pm

User avatar Dear Smartz,

It is not unheard of to have a heart attack at such a young age even though coronary disease is usually considered at an older age.

To determine whether or not chest pain is caused by coronary disease, 2 main factors are considered, the first is the risk factors that the patient having the chest pain has for coronary disease and the second is the character of the pain itself. If the patient has many risk factors for coronary disease and the chest pain is typical of coronary disease, the patient is taken to coronary angiography. If there are no risk factors and the chest pain was atypical there is not even a need for any other investigation.

Any thing in between, as in your case, a stress test is usually done. If i may, i would like to recommend to have the chemical test associated with a nuclear scan to better evaluate the heart.

|