News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Cardiology Symptoms

Question: 30 year old with chest pain

smartz - Fri Dec 24, 2004 1:52 pm

I have recently turned 30 and have been recently diagnosed with high blood pressure. It averages 190/110 and recently has gone as high as 210/115. My cholesterol was 230 If I remember right. I am recieving Epidural steroid injections for 4 herniated disks and take Tylenol3 w/codeine on a regular basis. I have a family history of heart disease on both sides........Now for my question....When doing chores around the house, cleaning, laundry, etc...( I am a father of 4) I begin to get fatigued easily and become short of breath. I also experience pressure and mild pain in my chest. If I rest for about 15 min or so it seems to go away.... My doctor suggests it may be panic attacks but I don't display any of the other symptoms associated with them.... He also suggested that it may be Angina. I cannot do a treadmill test because of my back and will have to do the chemical stress test...He will not order one until my BP is under control..... I guess my question is...I am 30, not overweight, otherwise healthy...Is it possible for me to have Angina at such a young age and should I be very concerned?
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sun Dec 26, 2004 3:58 pm

User avatar Dear Smartz,

It is not unheard of to have a heart attack at such a young age even though coronary disease is usually considered at an older age.

To determine whether or not chest pain is caused by coronary disease, 2 main factors are considered, the first is the risk factors that the patient having the chest pain has for coronary disease and the second is the character of the pain itself. If the patient has many risk factors for coronary disease and the chest pain is typical of coronary disease, the patient is taken to coronary angiography. If there are no risk factors and the chest pain was atypical there is not even a need for any other investigation.

Any thing in between, as in your case, a stress test is usually done. If i may, i would like to recommend to have the chemical test associated with a nuclear scan to better evaluate the heart.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here