Forum Name: Congenital Heart Disease in Adults

Question: Bicuspid Aortic valve & Erectile dysfunction

raaj79 - Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:13 pm

Hi, I'm a 30 year old male who has been diagnosed with a bicuspid aortic valve at the age of 2. There is a heart murmur, but other than that nothing to worry about and I get regular checkups.

My concern is this. In the last few years, I've developed Erectile Dysfunction. Its not total ED, I can get an erection, just that its difficult to get, and hard to keep and not that strong. There are times when there is a lack of drive altogether and I cannot get an erection.

To treat this I've been using Viagra 100mg whenever I have sex, sometimes I do not need to use it, but on most cases I do. My question is whether my congenital heart disease is related to me having ED? Is there a correlation between the two?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:26 pm

What you're referring to as "congenital heart disease" is actually a congenital structural heart abnormality, which may broadly be considered heart disease, but actually is a defect in a valve, and which should not, like coronary artery disease, be related to your partial ED problem. Further, if your ED was due to distraction and anxiety related to the knowlege of your bicuspid aortic valve, you'd have more of a problem most likely (in terms of ED). However, again, men your age rarely have ED except due to some psychological issue, so this may be worth a look.

If Viagra works for you, then at least until you discover the underlying cause of the ED (and I certainly can't say that future research may not establish some up-til-now undiscovered link between bicuspid aortic valve and ED), you'll have an assist when you need it.

More importantly, I think, is that you have at least annual echocardiograms and a chest x-ray or MRI (or CT) to be sure you're not developing any dilation of the ascending aorta, for which there is a lifelong additional risk when bicuspid aortic valve is present.

I hope this answers your question. Good luck to you. Please follow up with us as needed.

|