Forum Name: Valvular Heart Diseases

Question: Prominent pulmonary vessels in hilar region

kmr - Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:54 pm

A recent breast MRI came back negative for cancer but with the notation listed above. The report states "Clinical correlation is recommended" and the radiologist suggested I have a Chest xray to further evaluate this.

What is it? What would your recommendation be?

THanks

KMR
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:19 pm

The hilar region is the area through which blood vessels and nerves, etc., enter and leave the service of the lungs. "Prominent pulmonary vessels" in this area could mean any number of things or could mean absolutely nothing, but every finding that is not precisely "normal" must be noted in any medical test report, if only for baseline purposes.

That being said, I would certainly take the radiologist's advice about having this correlated medically via a chest x-ray, just to see why these vessels seem to be prominent. It may just be an anatomic anomaly, which is still useful to know, or it could be due to some actual abnormality, whether harmless or, possibly, secondary to some more serious problem (although this seems unlikely since there have been no symptoms).

Generally these findings wind up being medically irrelevant, but the radiologist sees enough of this to be qualified to advise having the thing illuminated and then you can know exactly what is (or, more likely, is not) going on to cause this.

I hope this is helpful. It's deliberately vague, as this can be caused by so many different things. Best of luck to you. Please follow up with us as needed.
 kmr - Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:22 am

Thank you so much for your response.

Would you suggest going to a Cardiologist for the chest X-Ray and follow up evaluation of the results or my primary care physician?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:33 pm

User avatar You're very welcome.

I think you should follow up with your PCP for now, and if there is a consult needed after that it might more likely be with a pulmonologist or vascular surgeon rather than a cardiologist, so your PCP coud probably make the best determination as to which sort of specialist (if any is needed) you should see. There's an equal chance you won't need any further consult after your regular followup. Let's hope that's the case.

Please keep us updated.
 kmr - Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:32 pm

Thanks so much. Your assistance was very helpful.

|