Forum Name: Valvular Heart Diseases

Question: Mitral valve regurge and PCOS

SAPHIRE23 - Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:20 am

Hello!
I HAVE PCOS AND I WAS JUST DIAGNOSED WITH MILD MITRAL VALVE REGURGE. I WAS WONDERING IF YOU COULD HELP ME UNDERSTAND WHAT THIS MEANS TO ME AS WELL AS IF THE PCOS PLAYS A ROLE. THANKS!
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:33 pm

User avatar Dear Saphire23,

There is no relation between pcos and mitral regurge.

How was your mitral regurge discovered?

Mitral regurge means that the mitral valve, the door between the left atrium and the left ventricle, does not close 100% when it should. The blood normally flows from the left atrium through the mitral valve (which is open at this point) to the left ventricle during the phase of filling of the left ventricle. The mitral valve then closes and the heart contracts to pump the blood out of the left ventricle through the aortic valve to the whole body. If the mitral valve does not close during this phase of contraction, blood, in addition to going out through the aortic valve, goes back to the left atrium through the shouldn't have been now open mitral valve. This is mitral regurge.

What are its consequences? If it was of hemodynamic significance, i.e. the amount of blood abnormally going back through the mitral valve is quite a bit, then on the long run it might lead to increase in the size of the heart and ultimately heart failure.

According to the reason behind the mitral regurge and whether or not you have symptoms, you will have to be followed up by a cardiologist or at least have an echocardiogram on a yearly basis.

Sometimes, any valve (mitral, aortic) regurgitation, when an echocardiogram is done for any reason, it is discovered by chance that it has mild or minimal regurgitation which is hemodynamically insignificant with no effect on the heart and it was just discovered and this discovery makes the patient very anxious, when in fact there is nothing to worry about.

SAPHIRE23 - Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:05 pm

Thank you Dr. for your quick response. I had presented to my Dr. with mild palpatations for 2 weeks. Thankfully they have gone away now but I went for an echocardiogram and that is how I was diagnosed. I was told it was mild and as long as I don't have any more symptoms I can leave it untreated. I will take your advice and get an echocardiogram every year though. Thank you again!

To the woman with pcos and mvr. I have had pcos since I was 17 but I failed to be diagnosed with it until I was almost 24(this year). It was with my pushing for the tests that I was diagnosed. Unfourtunalty and fourtunatly I am fairly well versed in pcos. I have most of the symptoms of PCOS as well. I however am not trying to get pregnant. Loosing weight on the other hand I am trying. It is extremly difficult. Best of luck to you. I have an aunt that is going through the same troubles you are. It may be a very difficult road but anything worth doing is worth all the trouble to get it done!
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:19 am

User avatar Dear Saphire23,

Thank you very much for the update.

With palpitations, a few things should be checked and you should refrain from doing some things if you are doing them. The things that should be checked are blood tests for electrolytes and thyroid hormone. The things that one should refrain from doing are stop smoking, drinking alcohol and too many caffeinated beverages and have enough sleep.

i think you should be ok with yearly echocardiograms.

|