News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Cardiology Diagnostics

Question: RHR 54, tachycardia during sleep, otherwise healthy 28yo fem

tkdtiger - Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:29 pm

hi,
just wondering if it was worth seeing a dr for a strange occurence in my sleep?
my resting heart rate is around 54, though i have been wearing my polar heart rate monitor (just for my own curiosity) during sleep and my heart rate reaches 193. I am a very active 28 year old and I can exercise with my heart rate at a maximum of 205 without feeling faint etc.
When i was pregnant in 2006, I had preeclampsia and high blood pressure (the blood pressure went unnoticed for weeks as it was stilll within "normal" range although it was high for me (usually 100/60 and it was 120/80 in pregnancy). Prelabour my bp was 150/110 and i was given meds to take over a period of weeks.
I exercise 5 days a week - moderate to high intensity. I don't drink or smoke, i have two coffees a day, eat healthy, my bmi is 25. Is this just a normal occurrence? Or is there definitely a reason i should go to see my dr?
thanks
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:04 pm

User avatar Hi there -

Are you saying you wake up with a heart rate of 193, or that the monitor shows a high reading during the night of 193? It's important to understand the circumstances of this, such as the above question, plus whether or not this rate is sustained or just occurs in a brief burst (sometimes we can have momentarily very "exciting" brain activity during sleep). You also could be having nocturnal episodes of supraventricular tachycardia. Then again, it could be an error on the part of the monitor. Have you actually been awakened and felt your pulse and determined it is this fast? Please fill in the blanks, as this may be something that needs a doctor's attention or it may be nothing much at all.

Please follow up with as much of that information as you can, and we should be able to clarify this for you.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here