News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Cardiology Symptoms

Question: Right Side Chest Pain

bikerdave - Fri Dec 31, 2004 4:10 pm

I am a 42 year old male, non smoker, and am relatively active. I have been put on aciphex a month ago for possible reflux. My stomach is upset quite alot but the most bothersome is right side chest pain. It is behind my right breast. It will sometimes radiate to my right shoulder or arm. Somtimes it's a feeling of fullness, sometimes pain, and other times tightening. Sometimes it's worse after eating, sometimes bad when I wake up in morning. Today I had about 4 hours of it, with multiple bowel movements (about 5) I had an ekg 2x in past 6 months both normal. I don't have health insurance so I can't afford some of the gastro tests they want to do. My anxiety is wondering if it could be my heart and the ekg's just missed something. I don't get any shortness of breath, it is on thej right side 99% of the time and a precursor is usually my stomach is upset or cramping. The chest pain can be real intense. I did have a sonogram because they wanted to check my gallbladder, and that came out normal. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks and Happy New Year
Dave
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:13 am

User avatar Hi bikerdave,
Do these symptoms present themselves especially after eating foods containing a high amount of grease/fat? Gallbladder dysfunction can cause severe right sided chest, shoulder, and arm pain. Attacks usually occur after eating certain foods. If this is so in your case, just because an ultrasound came back normal for your gallbladder doesn't necessarily mean your gallbladder is functioning properly. It means that they probably didn't visualize any gallstones etc. A more definitive test to determine gallbladder function is a HIDA scan. I hope this helps.
Sincerely,
Rntdj

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here