Forum Name: Hypertension

Question: High Cholesterol

cd61182 - Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:55 pm

Hi, im a female 22 years old, i have asthma and i recently lost 35 pounds, im 5'4 and 150lbs. There is no history of heart disease or high cholesterol in my family. I had a blood test because im going into the medical field and the results said i had high blood pressure of 210. Is this common for my age? Is there something more i can do to lower it? My doctor didnt really help me with this. Thanks.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:32 am

User avatar Dear cd61182,

The title of the post is high cholesterol and you said you had a blood test but then you mentioned that your blood pressure was high 210. Did you mean blood cholesterol instead of the blood pressure?

A blood cholesterol of 210 in a healthy young person with no risk factors for coronary disease does not warrant treatment. What was your bad (ldl) and good (hdl) cholesterol? You might want to have a follow-up blood test in a year or so.

If you meant blood pressure was 210, you have to make sure that this was not just a one time high reading and you have to have your blood pressure checked twice on two separate occasions and if it is found to be high, you need treatment.

|