Question: Constant chest pain with strange twist

jester5532 - Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:46 pm

i have been having chest pain fairly constantly for the past 5 days now, i am a 21 year old male 5,9 at 280 lbs, my aunt has diabetis which she got at about her late 40's, my grandfather had a quadrupal bypass when he was 80, my other grandfather did have heart problems later in life including heart disease. the pain can be discribed, as more of an ache, it is centrally located at about the center of my sternum and sometimes below that, wearing a shirt or sometimes a seatbelt irritates it sometimes, and massaging it usually makes it feel better for a short while, i usually do not feel it when i first wake up, but not too far afterwards, towards the bottom left of the are it is simetimes tender to the touch, now for the twist. it nearly always feel better when i am bieng more active, for example i took a walk this morning iwhen i left the pain was mild, towards the middle to the end of my walk, the pain was gone, when i stretch, or am busy working about, the pain is less. at the new years party, the pain was non existant. only when i am relaxed does the pain increase, more so in a sitting position then when lying down, but lying down and resting does not aleviate it. stretching and taking a brisk walk seam to be the onjly consistant things that releave it for short period sof time. occasionally i will feel or hear my heart beeting, but i have always been very aware of my heart beating. my pulse rate is fairly steady, however at times it seams my pull is stronger (taken at the right side of the neck, though not necessarily coresponding to the strengh of the pain. i do not have shortness of breath or pain in other areas,

i do smoke a cigar or pipe, rarely more than once per day, often going days without smoking them, but i do smoke them. i do not smoke cigarettes as i find it uncomfortable to inhale tobacco.

i have never heard of chest pains that feels better when excercising or stretching, and worse when relaxing.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:16 am

User avatar Dear jester5532,

You don't have any risk factors for coronary disease except for smoking (i advice you to quit).

Your chest pain is atypical as compared to that of coronary disease.

Obviously, I cannot rule out something as dangerous as a cardiac cause for your chest pain over the internet, but according to your description this chest pain is probably not secondary to coronary disease.

It sounds like it is related to a chest wall problem. Try an over the counter pain reliever like tylenol and i don't believe there is something urgent here, so the next time you see your health care provider, mention this pain and see what he/she thinks about it.

|