Question: Heart is in pain

nameless - Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:01 am

I am having bad pains in my chest where my heart is and i know its because of all whats going on but it still hurts and my pulse hasnt been down for along time its been from 103 - 120 im 18 years old i weigh 310 lbs im 5'11 and i have a broken heart from hurting my mom and the girl that i loved and thought she loved me back but she doesnt and thats along story but at times it feels like the pain is to much i just want it to go away and it hurts im not sure if i cry cuz of the pain or becuse of my broken heart they both are alot to be crying about, but i think its mostly my broken heart but i can still feel my heart bounding in my chest cuz i still love this girl. but is the pain in my chest from the broken heart or what, my blood pressure goes up and down, just now it was 106 over 93 and it just goes up and down the best i had was 123 over 85 but i also had 149 over 99 and then 119 over 95 and another 130 over 78 but my pulse always is over 106 and it topped out at 120. i just want to know if i need to get help for my heart or is it just from all the stress and i have to tough it out? i have alot of stress going on right now so is my heart hurting from stress or is it actually from my heart being broken? when im calm it seems like the pain goes away but im rarely calm cuz im still hurting over hurting my mom and the girl i loved but the pain is still here not sure what to do? Can you help me?
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:57 pm

User avatar Dear Guest,

The term broken heart is actually a figure of speech. The heart does not get broken.

To determine whether or not chest pain is due to coronary disease, risk factors for coronary disease and the characteristics of the chest pain are evaluated.

You don't have any risk factors for cornoary disease and the chest discomfort that you get is atypical. Obviously, I cannot rule out something as dangerous as a cardiac cause for your chest pain over the internet, but according to your description this pain is probably not due to coronary disease.

The discomfort that you have been getting is most probably of psychological origin presenting as a somatic symptom, something that is not unheard of.

|