Question: PSVT and heart pain

lucidity03 - Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:42 am

I posted here a few months ago about having PSVT.

I've been regulated without any problems since the end of May.

I was on Lopressor and Cardizem CD. My Cardiologist took me off the Lopressor about a month ago. I have not had PSVT since May - even after stopping the Lopressor.

When I was in the hospital over 6 months ago, they did an echocardiogram, x-ray, several EKGs, blood work, and constant monitoring. I was told then that my heart was as healthy as it should look for a 26 year old female.

I had a follow-up a month ago. He did an EKG. Everything was fine and he said my heart was healthy. I have a follow-up in June and we'll do more bloodwork then.

Here's my question:

Sometimes I feel a little weird in the chest area. It's not really pain. I don't know if I'm thinking myself into it because it's all I think about these days. I feel a slight pressure around my heart sometimes. Also, I feel a slight discomfort between my heart and my left armpit. I sleep on my left arm, so I don't know if that's related.

Since I have been diligent with following up with my doctors and all the tests look good, should I be concerned about this? Could it be a Cardizem side effect? I keep telling myself that if there was a problem that all those tests would've pointed something out to me. I am constantly told that the heart seems healthy.

I've contacted my doctor so many times, I don't want to bother him again. When I raise any concerns to him, he doesn't seem concerned and says it's been so far, so good.

How concerned should I be?
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:32 pm

User avatar Dear lucidity03,

Thank you very much for the update.

Cardizem does not cause chest discomfort.

If you are worried that this pain is secondary to coronary disease, the chances are very slim to non-existent. Being a female in the child bearing age virtually protects you from coronary disease, on top you don't have any risk factors for coronary disease and the chest discomfort that you have is atypical as compared to the characteristics of chest pain of coronary disease.

i think that there is nothing to worry about.

|