Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cardiology Topics

Question: Syncope

lalabird - Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:34 pm

Is there any relationship between syncope and swollen occipital lymph nodes? If a person experiences these symptoms at the same time is it related somehow?
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:08 pm

User avatar Dear lalabird,

To the best of my knowledge, there is no relationship between syncope and swollen occipital lymph nodes.

lalabird - Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:57 pm

I haven’t been able to locate much, if any, information on the relationship... if it exists. However, the closest thing I found was a 1975 case study in which a young woman (18) had been treated for symptoms including syncope, originally thought to be migraine-related. Eventually she underwent surgery for hypoglossal carotid entrapment. The study indicated that upon surgery she had “marked fibrosis […of] the neck, along with hyperplastic lymph nodes (1).” Not exactly occipital lymph node region. If anything, it does help to rule out any relationship between the two (syncope and occipital lymphadenitis).

Anyway, I appreciate your response to my question, Dr. Mokhtar.

1)
Advances in Neurology, Vol 30
Diagnosis and Treatment of Brain Ischemia
Edited by A. L. Carney and E. M. Anderson
Raven Press, New York, 1981
Chapter 18: Hypoglossal Carotid Entrapment Syndrome
P. 224-5.
http://www.uic.edu/classes/neuros/neuro ... pter18.pdf
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:37 am

User avatar Dear Lalabird,

Thank you very much for the update and info.

i think it even gets more complicated than that.

There are some disease, that can affect the lymph nodes all over the body (not specifically the occipital lymph nodes) and at the same time affect the brain and the patient may have seizures which could be diagnosed as syncope because patients lose consciousness and may be on top the group of lymph nodes that starts to be enlarged first is the occipital lymph nodes group.

But still i don't think that there is a particular disease process that combines the two.

What is the clinical scenario that we are looking at?

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com an i hope that this information helped.

benitoite - Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:38 am

My wife went into a swimming pool for the first time last week. After excersizing, she got out and had trouble seeing. The pool temp was about 75F, and the outside temp was about 100F. She could not see for about ten minutes and felt light headed, difficultly walking. She blacked out in the shower room for a few minutes while sitting down. The next day, she came down with a bump in the occipital lymph area. It has been painful for three days now.
She is also allergic to cold- several times every day since moving to California from her home in the Tropics two years ago, she gets a brief red bumpy non-itchy rash all over her body when she is cold or chilly from a breeze.
Do you think it could be serious if anything?
 strawntn - Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:10 pm

hi
I am a 30 year old mother to 5 kids.11 years ago I fainted with seizure like activity and had loads upon loads of anxiety like symptoms afterwards .I had an MRI,CAT SCAN,EEG. All normal and I was then disagnosed with anxiety disorder the symptoms went on for about a year.I thought it was all over 5 years went by I never fainted after that one time and the anxiety seemd gone.Well after about 6 years I fainted again after having stomach cramps.Went to the ER was discharged doctor there said i seemed fine maybe virus related.The axiety started up again because of course I was scared.Well I fainted 3 more time in a 2 year period.After each of the last 3 times I was horrible feeling when I came to id have sweat all over,pounding heart beat,weak,lose my bowels or vomit.I also have had palpiations and fluttering beats here and there through the years.I continued to go to my doctor who believes it all to be anxiety/stress which is what any doctor I speak with seems to think.I don't understand that I have read so much about anxiety I have no doubt that I have this disorder,but I doubt the fainting being part of it and the irregular skipping beats.I have always read and heard that it is EXTREMLY rare to actualy faint from anxiety and stress or panic.Well anyway, here I am again scared to death that I have some bad heart problem and I may die suddenly because it is left un treated.I have been having heart palpitations,irregular rythm when trying to sleep at night,lightheadedness,pains in left arm,and just anxious and scared.I havent fainted since the last time 3 years ago...............PLEASE any idea???????? does this sound like anxiety/and or stress???? ps there is no doubt I do deffinitly go totaly unconcious when I have fainted my hubby has been there to witness them,I only say this because it seems like maybe doctors are not believeing that i actualy fainted? I can assure that i do and it is absolutely awful! .............thanks for reading this long post and thanks for your responce in advance

|