Forum Name: Cardiology Diagnostics

Question: Chest pains at very young age

Spartan Tyrant - Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:32 pm

Hi, im 16 and i recently began having sharp pains in my chest and heart. Every once in a while, they occur randomly in school, and sometimes when i am active. Im thinking that it is nothing to worry about, and it might be all in my head. I know its unusual for young people to have heart problems, but is there a possibility that I do? I would appreciate your point of view. Thanks.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:56 pm

User avatar Dear Spartan Tyrant,

At your age, this chest pain, if due to a heart problem, is more probably due to

1. A condition called mitral valve prolapse. Usually, this is a benign condition that just needs follow-up unless it is associated with a murmur which is a noise heard on heart examination (and this means that there is associated mitral valve regurgitation). This condition usually causes atypical chest pain and it is usually associated with palpitations espeically after meals. This could be the case in your condition.

2. Inflammation of the sac surrounding the heart but it does not sound that this is the case in your condition.

Chest pain also has many non-heart causes. From your description, this could be related to muscular strain or a very minor inflammation in the membrane surrounding the lungs.

You can try over the counter pain relievers. If you want to make sure that you don't have mitral valve prolapse, you can mention it to your doctor with your next visit. Usually an echocardiogram (an ultrasound of the heart) is done if your doctor thinks it is indicated.

|