News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Cardiology Diagnostics

Question: Family history of heart attack and multiple problems

syracusehouston - Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:51 pm

I am 27, 5'10 and 150lbs. Waist 32inches. Belly 33inches. Chest 37inches. Biceps 14.5 inches.

I have been working hard for the past few years and did not take proper care of my health. Now I am finding out I have various problems and am really depressed.

1. My low back pain is really killing me. Pain there for more than a year. I randomly take ibuprofen when pain worsens.

2. Recently I found I might have some kind of gout, since I have pain in sinus tarsi of right foot. No swelling seen. The pain has been there for more than a year. Uric acid is 5.8 mg/dl . MRI shows slight inflammation in sinus tarsi due to possible edema. I am taking allopurinol and drinking lots of water. Avoiding beer. Still there is pain when I wake up in the morning.
ESR is 1/2hour 1mm and 1 hour is 4mm.

3. blood test also found out
Total Cholesterol 230 mg/dl
triglycerides 204mg/dl
HDL 41mg/dl
LDL 149 mg/dl
VLDL 40mg/dl

Dad has heart attack several times and also has diabetes. Mom has thyroid problems lately. Both grand fathers died of heart attacks.

4. I think I am lactose intolerant. Adjusting with lactaid milk and pills.

5. Also immediate bowel movements after eating. No diarhea though.

How can just lead a normal life. I have two masters degree and a PhD. But I just want to get married and lead a happy life. Can I get rid of some of these problems. Kindly suggest me a solution.

Best Regards
SH
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:39 am

User avatar Hi syracusehouston,
Diet, exercise and cholesterol lowering medications should improve the levels of your labwork. Avoiding foods that are high in purine along with the allopurinol should improve the symptoms of gout. I would suggest an evaluation of the back pain. Gout may cause kidney stones because of the elevations in uric acid.
Sincerely,
Rntdj

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here