Question: Chest Tightness / Heart Pounding

Zmn246 - Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:32 pm

About 4 months ago i was attending a football game when i suddenly started experiencing chest pains as if a big weight was sitting on my chest. I believe this was a panic attack, but I saw my doctor a few days later. He ordered a chest x-ray and an EKG, both were normal, my blood pressure was also normal. The pain continued, but not as bad, it feels tight in the center and the left varying with my position. It does not bother me in the morning when i wake up, and it does not bother me when i lay on my stomach. Standing for lengthy periods of time bothers it unless i cross my arms very tightly. I also developed heart palpitations (i believe) with occasional skipped beats that were not present when the EKG was done. I am able to see my heart bulge through my chest and it pounds even with the slightest activity so i went back to my doctor 2 months later. He told me i have a heart murmur and ordered an echocardiogram. The echo as well as my previous EKG was reviewed by a cardiologist and my doctor. They were normal and the murmur was innocent. Since then i have experienced the same symptoms and occasionally the bottom of my jaw gets sore. I had a rhinoplasty and septoplasty 5 months ago and i was wondering if anything could be wrong with my breathing. I also have a poor diet and even though i am thin, i do not exercise very often. Could either of these be the source of the palpitations and tightness, or is it due to cardiac problems.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:20 pm

User avatar Dear zmn246,

Obviously, I cannot rule out something as dangerous as a cardiac cause for your chest pain over the internet, but according to your description this chest pain is probably not secondary to coronary disease.

The chest tightness that you feel can be due the palpitations that you feel. i don't think that your chest tightness is due an organic cardiac problem espcially that you had an echocardiogram that was normal.

Palpitations can be caused by:
1. An overactive thyroid gland.
2. Electrolytes disturbance.
3. Mitral valve prolapse (not in your case as your echo was normal).
4. Smoking.
5. Drinking alcohol.
6. Drinking too much caffeinated beverages.
7. Not getting enough sleep.

i would suggest a blood test for thyroid gland and electrolytes. If you are smoking, drinking alcohol or caffeinated beverages, please stop. Get enough sleep and rest.

If you continue to have palpitations, then i would recommend having 24 hours heart monitor called Holter monitor which monitors the heart rhythm for 24 hours.

|