Forum Name: Valvular Heart Diseases

Question: Colonoscopy and Mitral Regurgitation

emmylala2003 - Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:38 am

Dr,

I will be having a colonoscopy done on Friday (1/7) I have moderate mitral regurgitation, does this mean I need to take antibiotics by IV before the procedure? If so, which antibiotic is best? penicillin? If penicillin, what should be given if the patient is potentially resistant to penicillin?.

Also, I have an unresolved ear infection, I've taken two courses of Augmentin (for 10 days each course) and I still have this plugged sensation in my right ear. Am I still able to have the colonoscopy done with a potentially active ear infection?

thank you
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:35 pm

User avatar Dear Emmylala2003,

Thank you very much for the update.

When a person is considered for prophylaxis against infective endocarditis, two things are looked at:

1. The risk of the patient to develop endocarditis in comparison to the normal population.
2. The procedure that is to be done and whether or not it can bacteremia (bacteria goes to the blood).

In your case, with your history of mitral valve prolapse with mitral regurge, you are a moderate risk and according to the general guidelines, you should always be considered to receive antibiotics before procedures that can cause bacteremia.

Colonoscopy is not one of these procedures.

So, it is not recommended for you to take antibiotics before a colonoscopy.

As regards to whether or not you should have the colonoscopy while you might have a residual or active ear infection, this is a question that has to be asked to the gastro-enterologist who is going to do the colonoscopy.

|