Question: 19 yo female with Rapid Heart Beat ?

mong.nath - Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:40 am

I'm 19 yo female and i have a rapid heartbeat.
My family have history of hypertension
My normal heart beat is about 90-100 a minute which is clearly not normal. And when i exercise,after 20 minutes my heart beat will reach 180-200.
When my heart reach that rates,i'll experience short of breath and have mild chest pain.
What does this mean ?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:40 pm

User avatar Hi there -

While your resting heart rate is higher than average, it does fall within the broad, statistical range of "normal." Anything between 60 and 100 is generally considered to be "normal." So far, so good, unless you previously averaged a significantly slower rate.

The fact that your rate reaches 180 - 200 during presumably vigorous exercise puts you at a slightly higher rate than expected (a working range of 75 - 90 per cent of your maximum heart rate is considered the aerobic range for working out, and using the standard aerobic formula of 220 minus your age equals a maximum rate of 201; 90 per cent of this would be 180). Based on the calculated rates just stated, you're really working at or just above the high end of your projected effective aerobic range, which isn't unusual at all. Again, so far, so good.

The only concern I draw from what you've reported here is the actual chest pain during peak exercise (shortness of breath at peak exercise is not uncommon if not extreme), and this could be caused by many things, some unrelated to heart. If you could describe the character of the pain you experience and the location, this might help determine if you may be having some heart related problem or if this is something else. The rate numbers themselves are really not bad. Please let me know if the shortness of breath is significant and how quickly you recover from it, as well as a description of the nature and location of the pain you have. I'll be standing by to hear more. Good luck to you in the meanwhile.

|