News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Cardiology Symptoms

Question: 19 yo female with Rapid Heart Beat ?

mong.nath - Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:40 am

Hello,
I'm 19 yo female and i have a rapid heartbeat.
My family have history of hypertension
My normal heart beat is about 90-100 a minute which is clearly not normal. And when i exercise,after 20 minutes my heart beat will reach 180-200.
When my heart reach that rates,i'll experience short of breath and have mild chest pain.
What does this mean ?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:40 pm

User avatar Hi there -

While your resting heart rate is higher than average, it does fall within the broad, statistical range of "normal." Anything between 60 and 100 is generally considered to be "normal." So far, so good, unless you previously averaged a significantly slower rate.

The fact that your rate reaches 180 - 200 during presumably vigorous exercise puts you at a slightly higher rate than expected (a working range of 75 - 90 per cent of your maximum heart rate is considered the aerobic range for working out, and using the standard aerobic formula of 220 minus your age equals a maximum rate of 201; 90 per cent of this would be 180). Based on the calculated rates just stated, you're really working at or just above the high end of your projected effective aerobic range, which isn't unusual at all. Again, so far, so good.

The only concern I draw from what you've reported here is the actual chest pain during peak exercise (shortness of breath at peak exercise is not uncommon if not extreme), and this could be caused by many things, some unrelated to heart. If you could describe the character of the pain you experience and the location, this might help determine if you may be having some heart related problem or if this is something else. The rate numbers themselves are really not bad. Please let me know if the shortness of breath is significant and how quickly you recover from it, as well as a description of the nature and location of the pain you have. I'll be standing by to hear more. Good luck to you in the meanwhile.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here