Forum Name: Cardiology Diagnostics

Question: What is mild prominence of the left auricular appendage mea?

starshine - Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:41 pm

Hi, I have had a PPD test at the health clinic and the result was postive. The nurse then ordered a chest x-ray. The result came back and the nurse told me that my lung is clear. However there are also some other stuff in the report that I am not so sure of.

The report say:
'The cardiac size is within normal limits. The vascular pattern is mildly prominent. There is mild prominence of the left auricular appendage. The lung fields appear clear. No effusion is appreciated. The trachea is midline. The visualized bone structures appear intact.

Impression:
No acute cardiopulmonary disease demonstrated. Mild prominence of the auricular appendage."

Is there any thing abnormal here? What does the report means when it says that there is "Mild prominence of the auricular appendage"? Anything wrong with my heart? I do have some kind of pain around my chest and shortness of breadth. When I exercise/exert myself, my heart beat will become rather funny and I do not know how to describe the sensation.

I was thinking, since the cardic size is within normal limits, maybe there is nothing wrong. I dread seeing doctor for fear they will subject me to more tests.

I am a 39+ years old female.

Thank you.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:25 pm

The left (or right for that matter) auricular appendage is merely the conical profile of either atria (or aurical), the upper two heart chambers. The left one is most often more prominent and sometimes even slightly dilated, but the report overal is utterly negative (which is a very positive thing), meaning there is nothing abnormal to be seen. Everything that's not precisely within "spec" must be noted in an imaging exam like this, so the tech or reading doctor goes to great lengths to describe what's seen, essentially to provide a baseline for what is "normal" for a given patient in the area being studied. Since not all auricular appendages are prominent or equally so, it's worth noting simply in order to compare it with any future echocardiograms. In short, everything sounds fine.

Hope this is helpful to you. Good luck.
 starshine - Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:19 am

Thanks doctor! I am so glad that everything is fine.

|