Question: 16 year old with chest pain

patrickhasprobs - Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:05 pm

Dear doctor,

I am 16 years old and am experiencing pain in my chest on the left side. I am also experiencing some pain in my back. The pain can be described as an almost throbing sharp pain located exclusively in that area. This pain has lasted about 2 weeks now and has occurred mostly 24/7. I wake up in the morning and I feel fine, but soon after, the pain comes to me and follows me around all day.

Since I also feel back pain, I am wondering if I just have a back problem or if I actually have something wrong with my heart. As of late, I have also found myself with an inability to concentrate (just thought I should say that in case it's related). This pain isn't increased while doing physical activities but does stay there all day (even when sitting down and lying down relaxing). Should I seek help from a local doctor or just take a tylonell and stop worrying? Can you help me?
pat
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:18 am

User avatar Dear Patrick,

You don't have any risk factors for coronary disease and the chest pain is atypical in comparison to that of coronary disease, however at your age, atypical chest pain can be caused by a heart condition called mitral valve prolapse, even though the back pain part is still not typical as compared to the discomfort felt by most patients in cases of mitral valve prolapse. This condition is easily identified by echoardiogram (ultrasound of the heart).

Obviously, I cannot rule out something as dangerous as a cardiac cause for your chest pain over the internet, but according to your description this chest pain is probably not secondary to coronary disease.

i think you have been suffering enough with this pain. This is not an emergency situation though, so i would recommend that you just call your primary care doctor to have an appointment to go in and be checked.

|