Forum Name: Arrhythmias

Question: definition for bradyasystolic cardiac arrest

teachersw - Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:45 am

paramedic student can not find this definition anywhere on web...only finds the treatments
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:21 pm

Often hyphenated (which may be why you couldn't find it) this is when a patient "brady's out." Instead of a break in the rhythm that stays broken, it's a gradual slowing down to nothing, a terminal rhythm that just gets slower til it stops and can't be restarted. Sometimes due to a bleed-out but usually part of the sick sinus process, or some other failure of the sinus node, generally without an escape beat generated and frequently due to a proximal right coronary thrombus. Very few are successfully resuscitated. Often heralded by a progressive bradycardia that simply terminates by getting so slow that next beat just never comes.

I hope this is helpful. It's probably not exactly the way it would be written in the textbook, but there it is. Good luck to you!
 teachersw - Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:21 am

thanks for the definition. that did help. do you have a ECG strip of this rhythm?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:42 am

User avatar You're very welcome. Strips showing this rythm are difficult to obtain because they are usually long and progressive, but I will look around and see if I can find one that shows the late progression of it. If so, you'll get a notiifcation that something's been posted here.

|