News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Cardiology Symptoms

Question: Chest Pain, random cramps

derkym - Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:14 pm

About four days ago my chest started hurting in the afternoon (on the left side where the heart is), and after cramping for a few minutes it stopped hurting. I didn't think anything was wrong at the time, until it started hurting again that night, except then I was also getting cramps in the right side of my chest, seemingly at random (it would hurt for a few minutes on the left, then stop for about 15 minutes, then hurt on the right side for a few). I was also feeling general upper chest tightness. The next morning when I woke my chest started hurting periodically, and throughout the day I was getting cramps in various abdominal spots such as the chest, stomach, and kidneys. That night the pain was becoming quite severe in the heart area so I went to the hospital to be sure it wasnt anything serious, despite my age (17). At the hospital once I told them I hadn't done any athletic activity to aggravate it, they did an EKG, Blood tests and a chest x-ray. All of the tests came back perfectly normal and the doctor didnt know what the problem was, but he suspected it was inflamed muscles in the chest, or that I was coming down with an illness such as pneumonia, and perscribed me Naproxen to deal with the inflammation, if there is any. My mind was at rest until yesterday, when I started getting more pulsating cramps at complete random parts of my body (a fingertip, the bottom of the feet, the wrist). Also, I started getting this pain in the back of my neck. Today the pain is very similar to yesterday, and I have been having more random cramps. I have no idea what the problem is, but I suspect it could be rheumatoid arthritis, because my mom has it, but I'm not an expert. I was wondering if anyone has had similar symptoms or knows what the cause is, and how serious the condition is. Any help is greatly appriciated, and thank you for your time.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:16 pm

User avatar Dear Derkym,

i don't think that this is something related to the heart, but if it were, it might be related to a condition called mitral valve prolapse which can be easily detectednby an echocardiogram (ultrasound of the heart).

What was the blood tests that were done? Was an electolyte panel including magnesium, phosphorus and ionized calcium done, if not, i would strongly recommend that it gets done because muscle cramps are usually due to electrolyte imbalance.

If the electrolyte panel was or comes back normal and this continues on to be a problem, i would suggest that you see a neurologist.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here