Forum Name: Hypertension

Question: high systolic and normal diastolic BP

hypertensive - Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:49 am

Hi

I am a 65 yr old with hypertension, diagnosed 2 years back and on medication. my blood pressure was 140/88 at the time of diagnosis and now on medication it is 128/78 most of the time.

My problem now is that the diastolic is well controlled but the systolic is not coming down. is this a problem? I heard some people saying that anything systolic above 120 is not good.

I exercise regularly and take multivitamin supplements irregularly, and have no other health condition. I do put in long work hours at my office.

please advise,

Thank you
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:52 pm

The rule of thumb (and that's all it is) has been that anything over 140 systolic or 90 diastolic needed to be watched with an eye toward possible treatment. The ideal was considered to be 120/80. There was, for a little while, a trend toward getting BP significantly below 120, closer to 110, but this was splitting hairs. And it's all describing a desireable range. While 128 systolic is higher than the textbook ideal, it's not necessarily a bad thing, and certainly not a cause for concern, especially when it's come down from the 140s to the 120s. It's a lot like lab values for blood work. There is a "normal" range, but if some of the values are a hair above or below from time to time, while it bears watching, it generally means little or nothing. Same with blood sugar levels in diabetics, which tend to be "normal" or acceptable at a considerably higher level than before a person is diagnosed as diabetic. We really work with a lot of ranges. Your systolic pressure seems to be just fine right now, so long as there aren't sustained, significant spikes.

Hopefully this sets your mind at ease. Please follow up with us here as needed. Good luck to you.

|