Question: Tightness in chest and numb fingers and hands

abby55 - Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:25 pm

I am 31 years old and I have recently gained weight. I quit smoking for a while now. But lately I have been experiencing dull tight chest pains in the middle of my chest. Sometimes i feel it also on my left side. I also have been experiencing numbness in my hands and fingers. I have experienced pain im my arm and upper back and right leg but it is dull also. I have never felt like this before I have always been healthy. Help!
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:16 am

User avatar Dear Abby,

Being a female of the child bearing age protects you from coronary disease, however, you had a major risk factor for coronary disease, cigarette smoking. It is true that you quit but you never said how long ago. The effects of cigarette smoking on the cardiovascular system remain for quite a while up to years till every thing gets back to normal. You don't have any other risk factors for coronary disease such hypertension or diabetes. You never mentioned anything about cholesterol level.

Also, you did not mention when does the chest pain come, how long does it last, what makes it go away, any other symptoms besides the numbness? Does it come when you exercise? Does it come when you are doing nothing? Does it go anywhere else besides your chest?

Even though you have one major risk factor for coronary disease, but you also are naturally protected so, these two take each other out. i think the characteristics of your chest pain, even though i don't have enough, are not typical as compared to those of chest pain originating from coronary disease. So, the conclusion is most probably this chest tightness is not due to coronary disease.

i think with the history of numbness in your fingers and hands and the recent history of back and leg pain in addition to you gaining some weight, that this chest tightness and numbness in your fingers and hand are secondary to neck problems.

i think you should call your doctor to see what can be done for this problem as it sounds that you have it in both your neck and lower back. i think you should not wait till it gets much worse.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped and waiting for your update.

|