Forum Name: Cardiology Diagnostics

Question: Chest pain in the middle of my chest

jessedolphins - Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:24 pm

I am just wondering if I can get a recommendation on what i shoud do or some info. I keep getting chest pains that are in the middle of my chest or more towards the right hand side of my body. it feels like a really heavy weight and it is a hard to breath or move--these episodes usually last around 5 minutes and come and go. the pain doesnt go to my back or arms just stays right around the right chest area. can anyone give me a suggestion as to what might cause this and what i should do. its been happening on and off for about 2 mnths--these pains just started up again after about a week or two with no pains. thanks :D [/b]
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:06 pm

User avatar Dear Jessedolphins,

To decide whether or not chest pain is related to coronary disease, risk factors for coronary disease and the characteristics of the chest pain (as compared to characteristics of chest pain of coronary disease origin) are assessed. You don't have any risk factor for coronary disease and your chest pain (even though your description lacks some of the things that i would like to know), yet still i think it is atypical for chest pain of coronary origin.

When did you start having these symptoms? What are usually doing when you feel these symptoms? What makes the pain come and what do you think makes it go away?

i think that this pain is not related to coronary disease and i think that this condition is related to either a chest wall condition (muscle pains for example) or a lung condition called pleurisy (mild inflammation of the membrane surrounding the lung). i can not say for sure what is this related to.

Chest pain has so many causes, i think you need to see your doctor to have a physical and have a definitive diagnosis.

Even though it does not sound like reflux disease, yet reflux can present with a variety of strange symptoms.

In addition to visiting your doctor, i would recommend that you try anti-acids and see the response but the problem is going to be that you sometimes have considerable periods of time when you don't have the pain, so may be we won't be able to differentiate between the medication effect and the resolution of the pain on its own but i still think it is worth a try.

An echocardiogram (ultrasound of the heart) at your age is not an unreasonable thing to do as many of the times, atypical chest pain in your age group proves to be secondary to a condition called mitral valve prolapse that is very easily detectable by echocardiogram but your symptoms are not very typical of this condition though.

|