Forum Name: Valvular Heart Diseases

Question: Is mitral valve regurgitation a serious problem?

nanio - Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:36 pm

Hi, I'm new here. I'm glad I've found a place where I can post a question and someone would be able to answer it for me.
I have a 16 years old daughter who was diagnosed with a mitral valve prolapse when she was 9. Later, when she was 11 her doctor discovered she had a "mild" regurgitation at that time and ask her to avoid sodas with caffeine and chocolate, which she did for sometime. As soon as she was 13 o 14, she started drinking coke all the time and usually hide the chocolates from me so I'd not find out she was eating them. My daughter has not seen her doctor for more than a year because he retired and she was doing "fine". Two weeks ago she had was seemed like the flu and did not feel well. The thing is that that day, she told me she's been having palpitations even when resting and in fact we were having lunch at the time she told me and her heart was racing. Later that day, she was at school and sat down outside, trying to get warmer (she was wearing a jacket) because she felt "really cold". But we live in a tropical island in the Caribbean (Puerto Rico) and the climate here is not cold. Anyways, she sat there for about 15 or 20 minutes, in the sun and then felt somehow dizzy and went inside the building. She got a tan in the part of her body that weren't covered, but she did not feel the sun over her skin. When she got inside, she faint and fell into the floor and was unconscious for a couple of minutes so I rushed her to the ER and they did some blood and urine tests, an CTScan to find out if she hurt herself when she fall on the floor and everything came back ok, except the blood test that revealed she had a virus (cold) and the doctor at the ER told us we should make an appointment with a pediatric cardiologist which I've been trying to do ever since without any success. What concerns me the most is that my daughter gets really tired even from walking from the couch to the kitchen, and she feels fatigue when she have to speak with someone for more than a couple of minutes. She has to walk from one building to another at school and this make her really tired. Last Saturday she went to a restaurant with her boyfriend and afterward they try to take a walk inside the mall where the restaurant is but couldn't do it because as soon as they got out of the restaurant, she fell nausea, dizzyness and tiredness. They came right back home. Another thing is that lately she can't feel heat or pain very well, especially in her hands. The other day she touched a pan containing hot cheese for nachos and she felt like surface of the pan was cold (I touched it and it was really hot) instead of hot. Yesterday she was moving her pedestal fan from a place to another and one of her fingers got into the fan and got hit. She was bleeding from the cut (a small one), but did not feel any pain until a few minutes later. Her brother had to tell her she was bleeding. I'm concern about my daughter and I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks for yours
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:55 pm

While your daughter definitely needs to be seen by a cardiologist (and if a pediatric one isn't available then any one will do), to be worked up for progression of the MVP, it seems she'll also be need a neurological consult, since she's got some sort of peripheral nerve disorder that's affecting her ability to differentiate between hot and cold and to feel pain. There's something more than simple MVP going on and it should be pursued aggressively. There may be some issues with MVP, but more likely the symptoms she's been most affected by are neurological in nature. Sometimes certain people with MVP do also have neurological problems for no obvious reason.

I hope this is helpful to you. If you can't find a pediatric cardiologist then by all means take her to a regular cardiologist, as your daughter is close to adulthood anyway and it shouldn't make that much difference. But also find a neurologist to coordinate with because there more prominent symptoms lie in that area.

Good luck to you. Please follow up with us here as needed.

|