Forum Name: Arrhythmias

Question: My heart speeds up for no reason

TyJahcil - Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:58 am

I have a long family history of heart problems.
My Great-grandfather died of a stroke. It was his last stroke out of a total of 6.
My grandmother(his daughter) died from complications of osteoperosis when she was 70, but she died of a heart attack when she was 34 (she was revived) and died of a heart attack again when she was 36 and was revived again.
My mother had her first heart attack when she was 32. After 3 other heart attacks she had a stroke when she was 50.
I am female, aged 33.
My heart speeds up for no apparant reason. I have gas pains that hurt all the way from my front to my back at the same time as I have pains that hurt in my jaw and do not respond to gas pills.
I've heard that pain in the chest that hurts in the back and also in the jaw are a sign of heart problems.
Given my heart rhythm problems should I ask my GP to recommend a cardiologist?
My GP seems to think that I am to young for heart problems
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:41 pm

User avatar Hi there --

First, you're not too young to have a heart problem, especially given the really bad family history you have. If it weren't for that I'd maybe drop the urgency down a notch, but you're also correct about radiating pains, and the fact your heart speeds up at times may or may not be related to this, and may actually be not very important compared with the other things you've mentioned. Still, in this instance, I think it would be worthwhile to name every symptom you've listed here, and arrange to be evaluated by a cardiologist -- and I would advise you of this even if you weren't having symptoms, because of family history. You need to have at least a baseline cardiological picture of your heart's health. If nothing's wrong, that's great. You are at greater risk than others would be due to the history in your family, so the baseline workup gives doctors a reference, a benchmark to compare with in the future should you develop probelms later on.

So yes, given all you've told us, I would definitely get things checked out, hope for the best, but reocognize that bad family history is one of the biggest risk factors and the only thing you can do to offset it is to know what's going on so you can be proactive if need be.

Best of luck to you with this. Please follow up with us as needed.

|