Question: Transient Ischemic Attack

wondering1962 - Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:59 pm

I was told that I had a TIA, I am a 47 yr old female.
Only existing medical is Hypothyroidism...controlled by 0.15 mg eltroxin 1 x day
since childhood

I have been placed on medication for the high blood pressure that caused the TIA
and it has been doubled as it is NOT getting the BP numbers down

I have tingling in my arm, from shoulder to finger tips down my right side.....it comes about once an hour and lasts for a few minutes then goes away

Should I be telling my family dr that I am feeling this.........Am I going to have a
bigger stroke?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:11 pm

User avatar Hi there --

If, in fact, you did have a TIA, or if your doctor even feels fairly certain you did, then these are generally considered "warning" events, so yes, you definitely should let your doctor know you're having what seem to be related symptoms (the tingling down your arm). Usually the purpose of treating a TIA is to avoid a "true" and damaging stroke.

On the other hand, high blood pressure is rarely the cause of TIA, but rather clots cause these and usually lead to the larger stroke. Of course if there is a weakened blood vessel, then this is a potentially more serious situation that demands close followup, and again, yes, by all means let your doctor know you're having these symptoms.

I have a feeling this may all be something else entirely, but we don't have enough information to draw too many conclusions. Could you tell us what your blood pressure range is currently? This might be helpful, along with what's been prescribed to control BP (and isn't working)?

Please folow up with us but first give your doctor a call about the symptoms you're having. Hope this is helpful to you.

|