Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cardiology Topics

Question: Kawasaki Disease

melymel - Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:31 pm

My niece about three weeks ago came down with a high fever and a rash covering her whole body. The Dr. first treated her for strep and later the strep culture came back negative. She carried a fever for about four days and the fever stopped. The Doctors were not sure but started to lean towards Kawasaki Disease because because the second week her fingers started to peal. Her mouth and genital areas were affected as well. After the fever broke the rash cleared but started to itch really bad. That soon stopped but she still is pealing and still a red tongue so the Doctors are still thinking Kawasaki disease. She acts fine and doesn't act sick but next week they are sending her for an echocardiogram to she if her heart is constricted. My question is should a child with this disease be active or even feel like playing or should she still be extremely sick? Secondly if phase 2 is pealing of the skin how long do we have to treat the disease before to much damage has been done
melymel
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:56 pm

Kawasaki disease is dificult to diagnose concretely, and is generally suspected and treated if 3-4 of the five cardinal signs or symptoms are present. For this reason, it seems your niece is a likely candidate, and the sooner Kawasaki is treated, the batter the outcome. Since she seems to feel fairly well and wants to play, it's going to be difficult to keep her still, and may not be all that helpful, so long as treatment is begun promptly and/or the disease is definitely ruled out in favor of one of the other possible problems which could mimic it (in which case that disease would also need to be treated promptly).

I think probably so long as she seems to feel well it's best to not restrict her activity too much, but getting her into the hospital and treated would make this a moot point, so the doctors need to come to a diagnosis or make the decision to treat proactively in case this is Kawasaki, in which case the issue of her being active would be renedered moot.

I hope this is helpful to you. Please keep us updated as to what is determined. Good luck to you.

|