News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Ischemic Heart Disease

Question: Chest pressure lasting longer than a week

sampson12 - Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:10 pm

Hello,

I have been experiencing chest pressure for 9 days. I have been on vacation (on a cruise ship) during that time. This pressure does not appear to be subsiding. Also, when this pressure first started, I was working and my left arm and especially my left hand fingers have gone numb and are still tingly. I have never experienced these problems before. I have not had my blood pressure checked recently, but last time it was borderline high. I am not overweight.
Thankyou.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:07 pm

User avatar Dear Sampson,

To decide whether or not chest pain is of coronary origin, risk factors for coronary disease (of the person complaining of chest pain) and the characteristics of pain are looked at.

You are a male, you have not reached the age where coronary disease is considered, you smoke, you might have hypertension, you don't have diabetes and there is no mention of cholesterol and your family history sound negative for coronary disease.

There are some characterstics of the chest pain that are missing in your description. How long does the chest pain last? How frequent do you get it a day? Does it go anywhere besides your chest? Any associated symptoms with the pain?

In your case, even though there still are some pieces of information that are missing about the characteristics of the pain, yet i think that the pain sounds atypical (as compared to that of coronary disease).

This, in addition to your history of having 2 compressed vertebae in your neck and the history of continuous numbness and tingling, i would say that most probably this is not pressure caused by coronary disease but by your neck problem.

This being said, however, i would like you to see your doctor for this pain, the sooner the better.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here