News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   



Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Cardiology Treatment Modalities

Question: Antihypetensive drug

 Ahmed El-Feky - Thu May 22, 2003 9:42 am

Dear sir

I'm an egyptian and I'm now in UK.

In Egypt my doctor gave me an antihypertensive drug and I used to take it one tablet every day and if i don't take it one day my blood pressure increases and now in U.k, the drug finished and i would ask you about if can I find an antihypertensive drug in uk has the same reactive ingredients of my drug.

My drug information:



PRODUCER : Merck KGaA, Darmstadt,Germany

 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu May 22, 2003 1:38 pm

User avatar Dear Ahmed,
You are warned not to make the change all by yourself. You should be always under the supervision of a doctor especially if you are planning a long stay.

That said There is no exact equivalent as regards the composition of the combination drug Concor Plus. It is composed of two drugs. The first Bisoprolol Fumarate is actually a beta blocker. The second is Hydrocholorothiazide is a diuretic (helps high blood pressure by expelling salt from the kidneys).

In the Uk Merck produces Cardicor 5mg (scored light yellow) the drug costs 8.56 pounds sterling and contains 28 tablets.
The only drug in the UK that combines the above two is Monozide. Monozide however combines them in a different dosage. The Bisoprolol is 10 mg not 5mg as in Concor Plus. While, the Hydrochlorothiazide is 6.25mg not 12.5 as in Concor Plus. The best way to get around this is to combine Cardicor 5 mg with a hydrochlorothiazide. I am sorry i couldnt find a hydrochlorothiazide listed in the UK's BNF.

So you must consult with a doctor in the Uk and you may need dosage adjustment given the many differing factors diet change, mode of life, weather which all affect blood pressure and the level of salt in the body.


Check a doctor's response to similar questions


advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application


 advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)



Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2016
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information:
verify here.