News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Arrhythmias

Question: skipping beats

katwoman1980 - Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:36 am

i started having these skipping beats or early beats in january but not often at all. almost 2 weeks ago i started getting them a little more often. then this past sunday i started getting chest pains and shortness of breath. went to the er and my doctor and both did a battery of tests and determined that my heart is totally fine, no problems there and no blood clots either. the er said i had pulled a chest muscle. i am having a holter test done next week but the palpitations are getting more frequent and im worried. if the er and the doctor say my heart is fine what is causing this? i drink lots of soda but i am scared.

Jennifer
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:47 pm

User avatar Hello --

Premature beats can be very disturbing to the person having them, but they are essentially benign, aren't diagnostic nor prognostic of anything (especially in light of a clean bill of heart health) but can drive a person crazy. They are very unpleasant feeling, can generate a lot of anxiety, and this anxiety produces more adrenaline, which in turn triggers more "skipped" beats. You say you drink a lot of soda: is this cola primarily? Anything with caffeine in it will tend to aggravate these skips, and it's not just colas (Mountain Dew, Dr. Pepper, Red Bull, etc. also have a lot of caffeine in them). Everyone (believe this or not) has a certain number of skipped or premature beats, and some people just aren't very aware of them, while others feel every single one. Also, the tend to come and go over time, with periods when you'll have a lot and other times when they totally disappear.

The sodas may be a big factor in this, though. If you're consuming much caffeine you'll just have more premature beats. Cutting down (or out) caffeine will sometimes make a big difference. Sometimes not. Depends. Usually it will help.

I hope this answers your concerns. It's all pretty normal, but it's hard to put up with it. Good luck to you and please follow up with us here if you have any further questions.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here