Forum Name: Clots & Anticoagulants

Question: Positive D-dimer, elevated ana, etc.

Trysh - Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:37 pm

Hello. I questioned which forum to list my question under as it seems I have many things going on, but here goes: I am 38 yr. old female; have Factor V Leiden which is presumed to have caused 3 prior m/c over 8 years ago. Within the last 4 months I have had the following symptoms: muscle pain, fatigue, hair loss, sleepless nights, anxiety, excess oil in face/hair, confusion, chest pain, numbness in face/arms/legs, vaginal yeast infection, elevated ANA 1:640, elevated anti-phospoid lipids, and last wkend a d-dimer of 3.7 in ER. They did a CT with contrast of chest but found nothing, EKG and CT of head normal. One Rheumatologist thought maybe fibromylgia or mixed connective tissue and has me taking 12 mg of Elavil at night for the last 2 wks... another rheumatologist said 'no' to fibro and did more test that are outstanding. The recent d-dimer concerns me. Only other history is saline implants in 1993, migraines and TMJ for several years. Any thoughts on how it may or may not be related to what is going on and the real question... what is going on? Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:29 pm

User avatar Hi there --

Your situation is complex and I can see why you posted in this thread, although probably rheumatology or hematology would have been closer. So what I'm going to do, since this is a fairly overwhelming clinical issue, is to refer your question to both the rheumatology and hematology teams here. Come check back in a day or two and see if anyone can advance any useful ideas. Meanwhile I'll do some research on my own to see if I can sort this into something that makes more sense. Hang in there. We'll be back with more soon.
 Trysh - Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:12 am

Thank you for responding. Updates are: all lupus testing came back negative as well as any RA factors. They said my SED rate is normal and thyroid is normal. B12 was a bit low. I have also since had an ultrasound of both legs checking for clots and none were found. An ultrasound was also done of the breast area and a mass or group of cysts was found in one breast and 4 enlarged lymph nodes under the arm on the same side were noted. Again, any thoughts are appreciated. :)

Trysh
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:58 pm

User avatar Hi Trysh and you're very welcome. There is certainly some good news in the findings you report, but there is also some worrisome stuff that seems pretty much unrelated to the original problem. While all this could be perfectly innocent I would think the discovering doctor would suggest biopsy of the mass or cysts and the nodes as well,just to rule out any other potentially serious problems. Some people are just prone to formation of these sorts of lymphadenopathies without and serious disease, but there's enough there to at least warrant an exploration (by needle biopsy I would think, at least for starters).

Please keep us updated as to your progress with this. Again, I'm glad the studies you've had done are all negative, but now this new development also needs to be understood and managed as needed.

Good luck to you. Please stay in touch.

|