Question: Postural hypotension and running

soulrio - Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:10 pm

Hello, I'm a fifteen year old female highschool student looking to start a permanent exercise regime involving running and jogging. Since 2000 or so, I had been suffering from odd bouts of extreme dizziness, fainting, and general all around collapsing lifeless on the ground, and have been recently diagnosed with postural hypotension. I've noticed alot in PE at school, that my energy is sometimes completely drained, and I get dizzy and feel about to pass out after something as simple as a baseball game. I am assuming that this is because of the postural hypotension, because I am not *that* out of shape, and it only happens sometimes. What I'd like to know is, how could my hypotension affect regular running and jogging activities? And, is there anything I should watch out for? Besides hypotension, I am as healthy as a teenager could possibly be. I am also nearly six feet tall, if that affects anything.
Soulrio
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:28 pm

User avatar Dear Soulrio,

How were you diagnosed with postural hypotension and were you offered any treatment?

Losing consciousness in young age should prompt a battery of tests especially if the loss of consciousness is related to exercise and if the person wishes to start an exercise regimen or plays a certain type of sports.

If not already done, i would suggest that you have a thorough physical examination and an echocardiogram (ultrasound of the heart) to rule out any heart causes for the syncope and if it turns out to be normal there is nothing to worry about and you can start your exercise regimen.

|