Question: Ecgs all come back with PVCs

healthy100 - Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:07 am

It all started 4 years ago after the birth of my first child i became anorexic and bulimica it started to get better and i then had palps and pvcs in 2001 i had a echo, exercise test, 24 hr tape, numerous ecgs and all that came back was pvcs , cardiologist said not to worry some people have sticky valve which could also cause my symptoms and that is also safe"don't Worry". Well been back and fowards to doc with panic attacks aniexty since as sometimes my syptoms do not make sense, I have increased heart rate in the morning, when i experience the extra beats they make me feel light headed and i get like a body rush down arms and legs, i can just be sitting and get a stab under left breast is this heart related? Any way i had another child in jan 2004 i was experiencing this beats the whole pregnancy but at checks bp fine i went to the gym 3 times a week when pregnant till the day i had her and i was fine but about 3months after she was born again they got worse doc are taking no notice they say it is panic, I take beta blockers which help with the fast heart rate, Extra beats still there,i feel like internally i can feel like a vibrate or click feeling it is hard to explain sometimes which actually is worse when i do miss meals, now the stab feeling worries me i don't know if it is my reaction to it but bp goes up to 139/98 when these things happen. What is concerning me is i have been having these strange episode where i go to bed feel i little like i can't take a full breath i fall aslepp than after a while i have dived up standing in the middle of the room and trying to catch my breathe when i do heart is beating like mad about 180 i start to relax heart slows and it passes when i take bp at this time it was 157/80 then 10mins later bacj to 121/77, Is this a heart this or am i holding my breath or something? I am 23 years 5f4 49kg do not smoke or drink alcohol. I have done loads of research and i think mine is soomething to do with my mitral valve.I take 30 mg of propannanol and 20mg cipramil a day. When they tried me on escitaprimil new version i had horrific extra beats and went to a&e. I just feel like i will drop down dead and know one will know if i am alone and i will leave kids . Why have my pvcs started was it pregnancy? Do you reackonise any of my sympoms? would my tests have change much would echo have picked something up? What about bp? Is there any heart thing that relates to me i have read every thing and done loads of research any help would be great! WORRIED!
Oh forgot to mention when i was about 6 i used to feel like i could not breathe catch my breath and would collapse and had tests in hospital then but nothing found i was given nifedipine for these eposides but only happening for year or so.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:21 am

User avatar Dear Healthy100,

Did your cardiologist ever tell you that you have mitral valve prolapse? What were the results of the echo that you had in 2001?

When the echo was invented, they found out about this condition known as mitral valve proplase. It is so common. They found that it affected the otherwise healthy young adults mostly females. When they looked back at the symptoms most of these patients suffered from, they were palpitations and atpycial chest pain (like the stab that you get under your left breast).

Like your cardiologist said there is absolutely nothing whatsoever to worry about.

If you are worried that what you are suffering from a serious condition and it is heart related. Let me tell you that pregnancy and labour are the greatest stressors of the heart and circulation and if your heart could take the stress of pregnancy and labor, then, without a doubt, you have a very healthy heart and you need not to worry even one bit.

About the palpitations and the pvcs, they are most probably caused by mitral valve prolapse if this is what your doctor meant about having a sticky valve. If the propranolol is helping with the symptoms, i would advise you to continue taking it.

In the past, pvcs were treated very aggressively even in young patients. But there was a study conducted on a very large number of vry active healthy young adults who were not even complaining of anything. They wore the 24 hours heart monitors and many of them had pvcs and they were unaware and everything else was normal, so it was decided not to treat pvcs as aggressive as before in the active healthy young adults (like yourself) unless they are symptomatic like you, so a medication like inderal is given to them.

Most probably, you had these tests done before, but if they were not, i would urge you to have a blood thyroid function test and an electrolyte blood test.

In addition to not smoking and drinking alcohol, i would urge you to stop drinking any caffeinated beverages if you are and have enough sleep. Sometimes, these simple measures help patients overcome their symptoms.

The event that you describe is most probably a panic attack and i think that in addition to the medication that you are getting for depression, that you might need a very small dose tranquilizer that you might use at bed time on as needed basis to help you calm down before you go to sleep and see if this helps.

healthy100 - Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:50 am

Thank you sooooooooo much for the info. Doctor did not actually say i had mitral value prolapse all he said was echo was fine and some people have sticky valves don't worry it is common and safe.
Are the stab pain safe if not mvp?
Could the strain of the pregnancy of made this all start though?
I have had those blood tests many times as for about 3 months after my first child i had an over active thyroid which is normalnow though!
What do you think of the dive up feeling and gasping then racing heart when asleep?Do you think it could be heart related or anixety?
Would there be much chance of echo results beinmg abnormal now ?
I don't drink caffenine at all too! I find they do increase when i miss meals or don't have enough fluids in the day?
is there any reason some mornings my pulse is normal speed 77and others (majority of the time) it is a lot faster between 100 115 ish.
My doctor wants me to see counsellor for Cog, Behavioural, Therapy to copewith heart palps, They would not do this if they thought in any way it was a serious heart disorder would they?
If healthy heart then what is the chance of cardiac arrest with pvcs if any?
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:51 pm

User avatar Dear Healthy100,

If you are worried that the stab pains are due to coronary disease, to determine whether or not certain chest pain is due to coronary disease, the risk factors for coronary disease that the patient suffering from chest pain has are looked at in addition to the characteristics of the pain that the patient is suffering from in comparison to that of coronary disease. If the patient does not have any risk factors for coronary disease and the characteristics of the pain are atypical then the probability that this pain is due to coronary disease is very small to virtually non-existent. If the patient has coronary risk factors and the pain is typical, patient most probably has coronary disease and evaluation by coronary angiography is done. If it is in the middle then the patient gets a stress test.

In your case, females of the child bearing age are naturally protected against coronary disease. You don't have any coronary risk factor and your pain is atypical. So, this is not coronary disease. The chest pain that you have sounds like the ones descibed by many patients who mitral valve prolapse.

i could not understand whether or not you have mitral valve prolapse from the way you quoted your doctor but i think it looks as if he is saying you have mitral valve prolapse.

The strain of pregnancy does not have anything to do with this condition.

As for the dive up feeling and gasping then racing heart when asleep, the event that you describe is most probably a panic attack and i think that in addition to the medication that you are getting for depression, that you might need a very small dose tranquilizer that you might use at bed time on as needed basis to help you calm down before you go to sleep and see if this helps.

Please, stop checking your pulse in the morning and then you will not have to worry about how fast or slow it is.

i don't think that if your doctor thought that this is a serious condition that he would send you to have behavioral therapy. All you have to do is not to check your pulse. If you are still confused about the mitral valve prolapse, either call your cardiologist and ask about the diagnosis frankly or have another echocardiogram done and this time ask directly about mitral valve prolapse.

The chance of cardiac arrest with pvcs in a healthy heart are very small. Cardiac arrest caused by arrhythmias is termed sudden cardiac death. Please refer to the american heart association website where their scientific position on sudden cardiac death is explained in a very clear and simple way.

|