Forum Name: Cardiology Diagnostics

Question: 34 and scared to heck!

crayiii - Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:30 pm

I'm 34, 6'4", and 210 pounds. I'm athletic and don't have any personal or family history of heart problems.

I went to a Dr. (haven't been to one for about 10 years) because I was short of breath and was feeling occasional sharp pain in my chest. The Dr. I went to is an Dr. of Internal Medicine.

He had an Echo, chest Xray, and blood/urine work done

My blood pressure was high 158/100 and up as high as 210/105.

The blood work came back with everything being okay, he said the chest X-Ray looked fine but the echo showed leakage on the left side. The doctor put me on 2.5mg per day of Altace and asked me to chart my blood pressure and come back in 4-weeks.

The lowest it's been for the last week is 146/76 and my heart rate is always in the 90's-100's

I woke up a few days ago feeling like I slept on my left shoulder wrong. My shoulder from the middle of my back, around the top, circling the left part of my chest, and all the way down to my fingers hurts like heck! It hasn't let up and in fact feels like it's getting worse.

Could this be a associated with the heart stuff? Is it a typical sign of anything?

Ray
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:12 am

User avatar Hi crayiii,
Yes, it could be associated with the "heart stuff". I would suggest especially since your symptoms are worsening that you call your doctor back and tell him/her this information.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:54 pm

User avatar Dear Ray,

There is nothing to be scared about.

The shortness of breath that you were having, most probably was related your blood pressure getting elevated during exercise.

i think your doctor did not do a stress test because you did not have any risk factor for coronary disease (till you were diagnosed with hypertension) and i think that the chest pain that you get was deemed atypical by your doctor, so the probability that this chest pain or shortness of breath being secondary to coronary disease was very small, so there was no need for the stress test.

Even though there is a possibility that this pain that you have been experiencing could be related to the heart as rntdj mentioned, yet the description that you provided for the pain is atypical for pain of coronary disease origin.

It is very wise to call your doctor to tell him about any change or worsening in your symptoms like rntdj advised you to do.

What could this be? It sounds to me like shingles, but let's wait and see what your doctor will say.

|