Question: Chest pain

herbleo - Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:22 pm

Dear Doctors Lounge,
It started about a year ago while I was in Brazil.
I never was a drinker, but sometimes I had a whiskey with coke or one, maximal two beer, until I became pain or stiffness in the neck-like a tension headache. I quit drinking any totally, because it became worse and about 6 months ago, I became this pain already from just drinking once or twice from a beer. (It always came about an hour later).
My overall condition changed too and I felt sometimes dizzy etc. I had it checked from a physician in Brazil, 10 months ago and after he received my blood tests, he told me that I had no diabetis, colesterol of 200, but very hy fat in the blood. More I don`t remember.
Since a few months, I also became chestpain when ever I had stress situations. The chestpain went away, but since three days, I have it again, worse than ever before and I feel even pain in my left arm with tingeling down to the fingertips. Any laud noise or slidest stress brings it up again and I am very much afraid.
Problem is, that I do not have any health insurance right now and no funds,but have applied for one, which will cover me from March on. I am taking Aspirin, because I was told that this would help to prvent a heart attack..... Can I make it until March this way, or is there anything I can do to prevent worse things to happen until March?
Can you give me advice.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:53 pm

User avatar Dear Herbert,

In your case, the probability of this chest pain being of cardiac origin is not low.

Being a smoker male over 50, are 3 risk factors for coronary disease. Even though, your chest pain sounds somewhat atypical as compared to the pain secondary to coronary disease, this still makes the possibility of this being of heart origin quite likely.

i think that you ought to be evaluated sooner rather later for coronary disease.

If you are in a medium sized or big town, most probably, there will free clinics around, you can check for their presence and go to be evaluated in any of these free clinics.

|