Forum Name: Congenital Heart Disease in Adults

Question: Hereditary female heart problems

smwalker - Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:50 am

My grandmother died in 1990. I do not remember the exact reason but I do remember the doctor telling my mother and uncle that she had an irregular heart beat.I also remember that her cardiologist said that what she had was hereditary and that if it had been "caught" when she was younger that it could have been treated differently/better.He also stated that this was passed through the female line and that if we had"it" it would show up around our 30's.
My mother does not remember this conversation and says she has no clue what my sisters and I are talking about. I do not know what to tell my doctor other than what I have previousily stated.I am not asking for a diagnosis just maybe a direction to move in.
I have a daughter and one of my sisters has 2.We think about this and wonder if one of them could have the same problem.None of them are close to 30 and they all are healthy.Yet we still wonder if there is "something" hiding and we do not know what to even to begin to ask about.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:21 pm

User avatar Dear smwalker,

i wish i could help you figure out this puzzle, but unfortunately i can not.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com

Dickons - Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:33 pm

I have no idea if this is of any help or would be a logical reason for an irregular heartbeat. Only a Doctor could answer that and my suggestion is she talk to her Doctor about the possibility of FMD or Fibromuscular Dysplasia, although it is not only females who get it, it is 3:1. FMD can present in the heart although it is extremely rare and normally presents in the renal arteries. Also it generally presents between the 3rd and 5th decade.

|