Forum Name: Cardiology Treatment Modalities

Question: Feeling pacemaker

kb9umb - Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:11 am

I had a pacemaker put in 12/2004. I can feel the pacemaker working when my heart rate slows down. IAt first it seemd like the pacemaker was only working about 5% of the time. Now it eems like the pacemaker is working most of the time except when I stand up or am walking. This scares me because of my malignant melanoma. I was wondering if I should be concerned because of it working most of the time now ? By the way I had it installed because of bradycardia and there was no sign of MM in the heart. Also I had a PE and was on heparin to get rid of the PE.

Thanks kb9umb
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:20 pm

User avatar Dear kb9umb,

i don't think that there is anything to worry about. The pace maker is programmed to work at a certain rate, let's say 60, when it senses that your heart rate is less than 60, it starts working. As long as your heart rate is above that number, it does not work.

This means that the pace maker is working fine.

i think you should be up for a pacemaker check soon, please, mention this to your doctor if it is bothering you.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D..

|