Forum Name: Arrhythmias

Question: How likely is it that my son will outgrow his SVT?

jewels707 - Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:13 am

My son had SVT in utero which resulted in hydrops. He was born prematurely at 30 weeks. When this was discovered on ultrasound I was started on digoxin and solatol (I think). I was taking these meds for approx. 5 days before his birth. During these five days he cardioverted into normal heart rhythm for short (maybe 15min.) stints, but really cardioverted while I was in labor (more normal rhythm than tachy). I was told he would not survive, but he is now almost three mo. old with all hydrops resolved and SVT has been controlled with digoxin. He had a few breakthroughs in the NICU that were mostly resolved with OG tube vagal, but once with adenosine. No breakthroughs since a few weeks old. We were told that he may grow out of whatever was causing the SVT. My questions are: what percentage of kids with SVT in utero/neonate do grow out of this condition? How many have to have abalation? At what age do they grow out of it? If he doesn't grow out of it when will they do abalation? Thanks for the info.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:58 pm

First of all congratulations on the new addition and on his having made it out of the woods. It should be easier from here on out.

I have no idea what the statistics are on outgrowing this, but my guess would be it's a fairly low number, since it's probably caused by an atrioventricular nodal re-entry tract (AVNRT), which is a congenital abnormality that many children grow into instead of out of. However, since he's so small, as he grows, the redundant nerve tissue could separate, which would be a sort of home-grown ablation. If not, then the potential for ablation will probably depend upon how big a problem the arrhythmia causes later on. It will later be more amenable to less noxious drugs, and then, at puberty, if not sooner, ablation would be the ultimate solution to the problem.

I'd only be guessing at statistics (and have had a great deal of difficulty finding any to point to), but probably would think about a one in three likelihood of outgrowing it.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck to you and again congratulations. Please keep us updates as to your son's progress.

|