Forum Name: Valvular Heart Diseases

Question: I need some information about mitral valve replacement

Jennifer - Sun May 25, 2003 6:38 am

I need some info about mitral valve repalcement or repairs. My father in law had open heart sugery 13 years ago and had three major blockages and had his aortic valve replaced. He is the hospital right now in ICCU on oxygen. Yesterday morning he felt as if he was having a heart attack and couldn't breath but had no chest pain but did have nausea and vomiting. For the past 2 months he has been on a waiting list to have his Mitral valve repaired or replaced and a double by-pass because two of his arteries are badly blocked again. He has a lot of swelling in legs and stomach and is taking medication to reduce it, so far in the past two weeks he has lost over 20 pounds of fluid but he is still very bloated looking. He hasn't been able to sleep and is generally ill. He cannot lay back on his bed completley because he loses his breath and nods off while sitting up and cuts off breathing when his head falls forward. He feels he is on a need to know basis and won't let the doctor tell him anything becasue he worries to much which is understandable, but his children need and want to know what is the outcome if he goes in to have this sugery done or what will happen if he doesn't . We walk on egg shells around him trying not to get his blood pressure up or to worsen his Asthma. He is 60 years old right now and we need to know if the rumors we heard are true, they are as follows:
If he does have the emergency surgery , will he die from it ?
What will happen if he doesn't have the surgery ?
Can they operate if he is still taking his blood thinners ?
Should the family (his children) come home from out of the provience right away ?
What are the chances of him having the surgery and having a complete recovery ?

Please, anyone who has any information pass it along. It would be greatly appreciated, we don't want to lose our father but we certainly don't want him to suffer. :(
Tahnk-You so much and please feel free to email me anytime at my email address but please put in the SUBJECT LINE " MITRAL VALVE SURGERY" Thanks again and best wishes and good luck to everyone out there with any problems, God Bless.

Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sun Jun 08, 2003 10:50 pm

User avatar Dear Jennifer,

From what you said, i think that your father in-law has heart failure. Usually surgeries unless really emergent are postponned till the heart compensates out of its failure.

Open heart surgery has its risks of course and if it is a redo like the one that you father in-law is supposed to have and under these circumstances, the risks of course are more.

i think it depends on the surgeon and his/her experience with these situations.

i can not really predict the outcome of such a surgery but the risks are quite high.

|